Monopods

PRC 4 158 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2018 2:52PM
I can understand that avoiding the cheapest tripods makes sense - they have more joints, movement, etc. and need to to be well engineered to perform their tasks.

Monopods are a little simpler, fewer joints, etc, so when I started looking at them I was surprised at the range of prices. If you're buying a monopod to support a heavy-ish lens (e.g. 70-200, f2.8), are the cheapest ones best avoided?

Philip

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
12 3.0k 129 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2018 3:46PM
Just to throw another idea into the mix, but many good tripods have a monopod option. E.g. I've been using a Novo tripod this year, which I rate as probably the best tripod I've ever owned (I prefer to the manfrotto and Giotto models I've had in the past - and don't even mention vanguard...). The Novo has an option to unscrew a leg and by attaching the central column to the detached leg you get a really good monopod.
13 Sep 2018 4:35PM
This

May be of interest, they also do a larger one for 10 more
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2018 4:53PM

Quote:Monopods are a little simpler, fewer joints, etc, so when I started looking at them I was surprised at the range of prices. If you're buying a monopod to support a heavy-ish lens (e.g. 70-200, f2.8), are the cheapest ones best avoided?

I would still look at the best that your budget will allow, decent quality means you may only buy once, lesser quality may mean you buy several times (I hope that makes sense).
thewilliam2 1 998
13 Sep 2018 5:45PM
What Phil says is very true, but it depends on how much you expect/intend to use it.

Another advantage of buying good quality is that you'll get a greater percentage of your money back when/if you come to sell. We use Gitzo tripods and, decades later, the spares are still available. This means that they effectively last forever, even for a full-time professional.

Few things are more annoying than being forced to scrap a piece of equipment for want of a simple replacement part!
PRC 4 158 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2018 10:57AM
Thanks, all, for the comments and recommendations. Some food for thought!

Philip
glsammy 12 209 1 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2018 11:25PM
Unlike other here, I've got the opposite opinion. I've had a manfrotto monopod for years. It's always annoyed me in that one of the legs will not lock correctly, losing some of its hight. Then two years ago I bought a ridiculously cheap one from 7 day shop. It was the best 7.99 I've ever spent! I still use it to this day. I put the manfrotto quick release head onto it and it works perfectly. I've had no problems with it at all and it's in daily use.I've used it with my Canon 7D with a Sigma 50-500mm lens on without any worries. I now use a different lens but it makes no difference to the monopod.I've still got the manfrotto one, it sits there in a corner collecting dust!
Railcam 12 715 2 Scotland
15 Sep 2018 8:31AM

Quote: I've had a manfrotto monopod for years. It's always annoyed me in that one of the legs will not lock correctly, losing some of its hight.

Have you contacted Manfrotto about it? All bits can be replaced.

I am a fully sartisfied user of a Manfrotto monopod for over 20 years. It takes a full frame Nikon and 200-500/f5.6 Nikkor lens no problem.
Chrism8 12 921 22 England
15 Sep 2018 9:36AM
" I've had a manfrotto monopod for years. It's always annoyed me in that one of the legs will not lock correctly, losing some of its height. "

On my Manfrotto 680 with lever type locks you can adjust the leg locks easily,
thewilliam2 1 998
15 Sep 2018 10:53AM
Buying cheap is a lottery.

Sometimes, shops like Lidl or Aldi will sell a really cheap product that lasts for years but mostly we do get what we pay for. Good quality monopods like Gitzo or Manfrotto are expensive but we can be sure that they'll work well and last well. Professionals don't normally like to take risks when choosing their kit.
15 Sep 2018 7:23PM

Quote:
Quote: I've had a manfrotto monopod for years. It's always annoyed me in that one of the legs will not lock correctly, losing some of its hight.

Have you contacted Manfrotto about it? All bits can be replaced.

I am a fully sartisfied user of a Manfrotto monopod for over 20 years. It takes a full frame Nikon and 200-500/f5.6 Nikkor lens no problem.

No point. I'm very happy with my 7.99 one. I've never had much luck with Manfrotto products.I have got one of their tripods which I use at home, that one is fine, but I also had another monopod which failed after a couple of weeks. I sent it back, and heard nothing. Gave up with them at that point. Easier and cheaper to spend 7.99 for one that works!
Just Jas 16 26.2k 1 England
16 Sep 2018 5:48AM

Quote:Quote: I've had a manfrotto monopod for years. It's always annoyed me in that one of the legs will not lock correctly, losing some of its hight.

How many other legs does your 'monopod' have then?GrinGrinGrin

I take it that you really mean one of the telescopic sections of the leg? Smile
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2018 9:05AM
Monopods in general, like tripods, are more stable if they have fewer and thicker leg sections.
This involves the price, size and weight ratio.
Lighter weight carbon fibre usually means a significantly higher price.

A monopod is very useful for avoiding arm ache when shooting for extended periods with heavy long lenses.

When standing up a good monopod is worth about 2 shutter speeds gain, with a good tripod worth about double.
"Cheap and nasty" of either may even reduce safe usable shutter speeds.

For macro of flowers and insects at low levels, one knee on the ground, one knee up and a monopod wedged between your 2 legs can gain 4 shutter speeds.

I have a 3 section Manfrotto 681 B that is nearly 2 pounds in weight that is extremely good as a monopod, and very strong.
16 Sep 2018 9:32AM

Quote:
Quote:Quote: I've had a manfrotto monopod for years. It's always annoyed me in that one of the legs will not lock correctly, losing some of its hight.

How many other legs does your 'monopod' have then?GrinGrinGrin

I take it that you really mean one of the telescopic sections of the leg? Smile

Of course. Smile
Just Jas 16 26.2k 1 England
16 Sep 2018 5:13PM
LOL !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.