The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Monopods

PR 12 183 England
16 Sep 2008 4:22PM
Hi,
I was at the racecourse the other day taking a few racing pics and saw someone with a monopod and thought mmm! looks like a good idea.
I dont normally shoot action shots, it was just a one off really, so is it worth buying one, or will it be one of those many gadgets that finds its way to the loft gathering dust.
Anybody use one ? whats your opinion of them ? and is it worth buying a modestly priced one or going expensive.
Thanks
Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 4:31PM
Hi Phil...I have a Manfrotto 680B, very sturdy and reasonably priced from Morris Photo.
....excellent for a heavy lens 1500kgs.

I initially bought a Slik carbon fibre...not happy so I sent it back and got a full refund....

....Mike
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
16 Sep 2008 4:42PM
Hey Phil, I also use a Manfrotto mono and find it excellent, I have used it to capture movement where tripods are not allowed eg on the London Underground and for capturing movement with a lot of success.

I find it stable, quick and easy to use. It is also easy and convenient to carry around.

Marc

Edit, I just checked your pf, I also use my monopod for capturing close up of flowers it really does help with stabilizing the camera
Brom 15 804 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 5:36PM
+1 on the manfrotto stakes, for me theyre fantastic in sports
Tooth 14 5.8k 227 Ireland
16 Sep 2008 5:58PM
I find it gives me about 2 extra stops in low light situations and allows a slower shutter speed than normal where required. I also find it doubles up usefully as a walking aid in eg trampling across bogs etc, when you don't want to hump a tripod but might just need that extra couple of stops as the light falls.

I've used it occasionally at a horse show and find it gives nice support without the restriction of a tripod - you can loosen the ball head and follow the action much more smoothly than if handheld.

I use a Velbon RUP40 I think - relatively small and lightweight but fastens nicely to the side of my slingshot and ideal for me
User_Removed 14 4.9k England
16 Sep 2008 7:05PM
Just bought a Manfrotto 694....... now searching, for a ballhead bought a few yrs ago..... Smile
VolcanoCowboy 13 157 England
16 Sep 2008 7:07PM
I bought a Manfrotto 676B Digi monopod and a 234 monopod tilt head the day before I headed off to Iceland for 10 days. Used it all the time. Lightweight, easy to carry and has a good height. The tilt head has a quick release plate and allows you to take photos in portrait format. I took this photo using the monopod in breezy conditions on top of a volcano in Iceland.

Adam
PR 12 183 England
16 Sep 2008 8:05PM
Thanks all for the information.
I have a pan and tilt head on my tripod, but what do you think is better on a monopod; pan and tilt or ball ? for ease of use .
Thanks again
Phil
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
16 Sep 2008 9:11PM

Quote: monopod; pan and tilt or ball ? for ease of use .

I have not got anything on mine, I screw the camera straight onto the monopod ( Manfrotto 676) and I find that works a dream. The only slight restriction is you can not tilt the camera at 90 degrees.

You can always try it like this and then buy a head later if you feel the need.

EDIT: PS I agree about it been helpful to second as a walking aid
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
16 Sep 2008 9:20PM

Quote:....excellent for a heavy lens 1500kgs

1500kgs!! - that's not a lens, that's the Hubble telescope...

And I use a 680PROB and a 484 ball head - works a treat. Smile
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 9:43PM
...I thought that bloody lens was heavy....LOL

....Mike
smitbar 11 136 England
16 Sep 2008 10:40PM

Quote: that's not a lens, that's the Hubble telescope...

Ha ha... I think he means 15kgs.. I hope!

I have an old Manfrotto 134 & its great. Great for sports etc.. & unobtrusive to people around you in a crowd etc.. Carries a D3 + 400mm f2.8 Nikkor with ease.
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
17 Sep 2008 9:02AM
I use a bloddy thick manofrotto for my 600mm lens and 1d body , it works much better than a tripod and allows more movement tracking targets , also the big lens trashed two tripod ball heads in a short time

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.