Playing The Long Game: Outdoor Photography With Telezooms

Montage - Personal project

chahncer Avatar
chahncer 4 1
18 Jun 2019 10:54AM
In the days of hand drawn/painted graphic images people used scalpels to cut out stuff to make montages and stuck them down with Lepage School Paste. In 1989 Barney Scanners (these were the roller type) gave away some image editing software called BarneyScan XP. I bought a second hand scanner and the software was a surpise when I opened the box, it was a BS XP clone called ProImage Plus for Windows, I was on ver 3.11

Years later I was able to buy a s/h Ps6+7upgrade on eBay with a licence, to my surprise the layout was the same as ProImage Plus and it would blend layers. I was given some instruction on how to cut out images using the Pen tool and then converting that Path to a Selection. Despite all the claims made for all sorts 'new' and fast methods of cutting out it remains the only sure way of doing it properly.

Having grasped that and also using, Curves, Feather, Hue/Saturation and Colour Balance. I found myself at the edge of a cliff, whatever was I going to use to make a multiple image. A far bigger problem than a few and easy software steps and something faced by every artist in front of a blank white sheet.


A burnt door, plus some logs found in a metal basket, the blue in the figure was done 'off image' pasted back in and partially blended into the other images.


I have tested the 'blogs' in three topics sadly a new post does not float the blog to the top
chahncer Avatar
chahncer 4 1
18 Jun 2019 11:06AM
I began this with some boulders that had been tumbled down a steep slope to cover the entrance of an old mine, to that I added a cable winding drum and a small winch and then added the figure.


The layers were blended some partially and others split into two and the parts blended separately. The final image was Desaturated and then given a Duotone. Lastly I used the Clone tool to lighten, darken and increase the contrast in small areas.

What I wanted was to make the image glow from the inside and this can only be achieved with a back lit screen.

GeorgeP Avatar
GeorgeP 16 62 26 United States
20 Jun 2019 3:29AM
Great images. I also have an old version of PS-6. Still running under Windoze 10 now! Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade . . . but it still does 75% of what I need. As for the other 25% . . . . well, maybe I really don't need it.


You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join for free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.