Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

More 'Out of Work' Snappers !

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2016 1:04PM

Quote:What would Prince Albert say about our present fiasco if he came back, except perhaps "plus ça change"?
I didn't know any of that. Very interesting. It's so depressing, isn't it? We seem to have swapped actually doing and making things for PR handouts saying we have made or done things.

I did a 3 year apprenticeship following a 6 month probationary period to learn my photographic skills, such as they are. I now see that 'apprenticeships' are available at Costa Coffee - for making a cup of coffee. That and the NVQs you mention show just how little we care about the reality of learning a skill and how much about the appearance of having learned a skill and having qualifications.

The awful thing is we turn out kids who who have been told and think they are clever and skilled - and then find out they are not. It's a big scam, really.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2016 1:26PM
Apple, Sky, "The times", all try to create a premier brand and then limit access by subscription creating an aspirational brand that other can only get glimpses at.
Conversely many photographs are freely distributed on the web, in free papers, even in exhibitions where free access is allowed.
Perhaps the only trend against this is premier photo book publications wher to view the images you typically need to buy the material. Some of the e.g. the hasselblad annual publications, travel book, pirelli calender and loads of different printed magizines such as Hello or The hunger etc..

Rather than relying on the paper for indirect sales perhaps The trick here is to get the general public to pay directly for such content - What images would you pay say £20-£50 for each year so that you could either just see them or talk about them to your friends & colleagues - without allowing them to re-share it on social media? Perhaps think of the Athena posters of the 80's or the large printed pictures of skyscrapers that some have in their living rooms.
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2016 3:39PM

Quote:create a premier brand and then limit access by subscription creating
It's getting people to pay. My YouTube channel with 3.000000 hits and 13,500 subscribers is quite successful and I earn some money from the advertising on it which goes some small way towards paying for it.

However, with the advent of ad blockers that income is likely to fade away. On the other hand I'm not big enough to charge a subscription. The likelihoods are that I'll have to stop doing it at some point. If people are not even willing to look at an ad for a few seconds, that will mean the only people able to review cameras or give advice will be the ones with PR links to the makers or magazines like ePz. In the long run, that will mean the death of small, quirky, different views and the rise of the big boys. Mags like ePz are great but as they get bigger, the likelihoods are that they will be bought up by some large conglomerates and homogenized. Just the same as has been happening in the high streets. It probably doesn't matter but the general unwillingness of folk to give anything back in return for content is disappointing and long term harmful.

So, in the end, I'll have more free time but the 50 years of experience that I share with other people won't be available. It's not only happening to people like pentaxpete and others here. In the end.all we'll have will be huge overbearing corporations supplying and controlling everything and riding roughshod over anyone who tries to be different or original or doesn't toe the corporate line.

I'm not arguing it is wrong or anything can be changed but I more and more feel privileged to have been young at a time when originality and hard work were appreciated and brought rewards.
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2016 3:40PM

Quote:I'm not arguing it is wrong or anything can be changed but I more and more feel privileged to have been young at a time when originality and hard work were appreciated and brought rewards.

Yup! Here here ....Grin

Perhaps one day the pendulum will swing the other way when people are fed up with mediocrity or worse and crave for something better but I bet we won't see such in any of our lifetimes.

Peter.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
19 Apr 2016 6:57PM
I find it sad that the government has devalued most qualifications with the exception of the Oxford and Cambridge degrees that "our people" need.

With A levels, the exam boards were commercial bodies that competed for students by making the top grades ever easier to attain. When I did A levels in the 1960s, very few people were awarded an "A" grade. Now it seems to be the majority!

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2016 3:33PM

Quote: likelihoods are that they will be bought up by some large conglomerates and homogenized
Kick starter funds can still break the mould and do their own things to challenge the big players.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
20 Apr 2016 3:44PM
Most things tend to go in cycles.

Some of us are old enough to remember the time when most pub beers were no better than "brown water". Then CAMRA reversed the trend and we've probably never had so many fine ales to choose from. Similar things have happened with bread.

We Brits can be a cussed race and we don't put up with homogenized products for long!
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2016 4:31PM
Yeah William ... Brown and Mild ... a great drink ... NOT! GrinGrin
keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Apr 2016 8:10PM
The lack of work in the press is as much to do with falling sales as it is the source of material.

The days of the working man buying a copy of the 'evening post' to read on the bus home is gone and its this market that drove local news papers, for one. You can't afford the luxury of a team of photographers if no-one is buying.

The work is still there in many areas of the press but you have to generate that work yourself. Newspapers like The Daily Mail (I know) use huge amounts of photography, largely on their website where they put out far more copy than they do in print.

Photography as a profession has changed. It will never go back to how it was.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.