More Jobsworths

6 Apr 2008 4:44PM
There's the new ACPO guidelines to look at as well. The NUJ might be interested as well, as press photographers get a lot of hassle. There's a local story of a press photographer turning up at a murder scene and being threatened with being moved on by the police, whilst the camera phone brigade were ghouling away.

However you can get good days. Last week, I had an RTA to cover, and had no hassle at all, and ended up chatting with the police about the finer points of Renault crumple zones.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
6 Apr 2008 4:50PM

Quote:It's only one headline and a video at the moment

Seen that video before, what you don`t see is any possible goading of the PCSO`s just prior to the video ? Smile
6 Apr 2008 6:02PM
Let's not for forget the press photographer arrested at an RTA last yer, Marc McMahon the photographer who had his gear stolen whilst in police custody, and the police telling porkies at his trial (he was acquited), the Nottingham press photographer arrested for attending an incident and found guilty of obstruction after a lengthy trial, including the police claiming at one point that they couldn't read EXIF data off his CF card, the amateur told that he couldn't photograph Christmas Lights, and so the list goes on.
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
6 Apr 2008 9:25PM

Quote:If ANYONE - even a copper (they need a warrant), tries to take it by force then it's assault

Not necessarily so.

Quote:I think he does goad them a little bit Paul

Said it before and will say it again, some people just attract problems.

Quote:situation of a low wage jobsworth

Poor old low paid jobsworth. Probably his job is worth enough to put food on the table and buy shoes for the kids. Never mind that, he should be a bold man, make a decision, face the consequences and get the sack, all for a photographer he is told to shift. I am not defending this particular man as he has gone over the top but we should keep some sense of proportion.

Why does the poster of the article need to denigrate people he obviously considers he is superior to? The article rants on a bit and the power it may have had is lost in the rant.

As I understand Spitalfields is owned by a Ltd company (correct me if I am wrong) and is therefor not a public place but a place open to the public. Bit like a mall. The poster says he will not go there again if his camera is not welcome? Seems some what of a dramatic gesture, especially when you consider he was not the one offended and he does not seem to like what has been done to the market. He is the only one who will be affected and I doubt the market will suffer in any way.

I would approach the market manager and seek out the policy and ask for some explanation as to what powers they think they have to take a camera from some one. Positive action at the time, not a rant later.

Now I have not been to Spitalfields but I have been to Borough Market. There I took some photos, saw a woman taking loads with a Hasselblad and did not see any problems.

This weekend, locally, I photographed in an Italian Market in a public street. When I took pics that were directly of stall holders I made a point of either asking or drawing attention and smiling. All I got was good natured banter and a great deal of fun.

To end my diatribe; by now surely most photographers are aware of their rights and aware that they may not be allowed to take photos on private property.
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
6 Apr 2008 10:40PM

Quote:they may not be allowed to take photos on private property.

'May' being the operative word - there is no blanket ban on taking photographs on private property
7 Apr 2008 9:09PM
Best story from the weekend was the Greater London Authority's official photographer who kept getting grief from the police at the Torch parade.

One press tog got pinned against a wall by a police horse, then there's all the others who got threatened with arrest for 'stepping off the kerb'.
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
7 Apr 2008 9:25PM

Quote:Is there a photographer rights website?

There's this one - Photography and the Law.
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
7 Apr 2008 10:36PM

Quote:
There's this one - Photography and the Law.

Almost all american though.
looboss 13 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2008 11:04PM
Lets face it the only thing you are allowed to do in the streets is to go from A to B Even so if you are walking and need to stop, you may be done for loitering or if you drive you may get a parking ticket, if you try and do it in a hurry you;ll get done for speeding and other offences, what chance does a tog have in a police state? if you have a meet and there a few then you are demonstrating. if you try and photograph a demonstration then you are easy pickings.
its best to move abroad and forget all this as nobody will complain before its too late, if you do decide to move abroad please learn the language and integrate Smile

The UK is on a slippery slope to hell,what is causing all this? it never used to be like this, The UK was the envy of the world what has happened? do we blame it all on the foreigners? or is it just the togs fault for looking and acting like terrorists/criminals/vandals/hooligans? should we instead take up fish breading?
curlyfilm 15 139
7 Apr 2008 11:18PM
makes me laugh when i think that some people are being ahrrassed by whoever for taking photographs, yet are probably under the all seeing eye of a cctv camera, at the same time.....
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2008 11:45PM

Quote:its best to move abroad
Where to ? Isn't this a global problem ? Is there a country that isn't touchy about photographers ?
7 Apr 2008 11:50PM

Quote:Quote:its best to move abroadWhere to ? Isn't this a global problem ? Is there a country that isn't touchy about photographers ?

but its not just about photography is it? Its blooming everything LOL shouldn't laugh really.....
cambirder 16 7.2k England
7 Apr 2008 11:56PM

Quote:its best to move abroad

Bit of a knee jerk reaction, to what after all is a small number of cases of zealots who don't actually know the law.

But if you are keen on the idea, how about China or Zimbabwe, I'm sure you can photograph what you like there.
8 Apr 2008 12:03AM

Quote:Quote:its best to move abroadBit of a knee jerk reaction, to what after all is a small number of cases of zealots who don't actually know the law.

But if you are keen on the idea, how about China or Zimbabwe, I'm sure you can photograph what you like there.

yeah Thanks! for your input! I'm sure My old china would be fine, where on earth do you think this is going to end anyway? a few more generation and you wouldn't know the difference LOL!
cambirder 16 7.2k England
8 Apr 2008 12:07AM
Oh, do get a grip looboss, you seem to be blowing this up out of all proportion.

You real name is not Fraser by any chance?

We're doomed, I say. Doomed

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.