Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

More more more feedback please... come on...

chrisrudland 17 156 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2004 11:40AM
No free money, but at least it made you read it. I thought there were thousands of people registered on here? please can you take the time to have a quick look at my website..

Thank you to the 7 people that registered and the 5 people who left comments in the Forum Topic below, but I would like much more if you can spare a few moments...

My Website

Chris
guidoa 19 1.4k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2004 1:19PM
Like the site and photos. Congratulations
collinf 18 1.2k
22 Nov 2004 3:17PM
Chris

I have had a VERY quick look at the site.

My first thought was: What do I get if I register?

Let me explain. There seems to be absolutely no reason for me to register on the site. Perhaps you could do with an obvious link that gives details of what members will get.

I don't like the fact that you only get 4 comments to a page in the guestbook. You could do with configuring it so that you get ten or so per page.

I (personally) would lose the "Me" from About Me and Contact Me.

You have two sections called "Photo Links". I expected the one in the top right to go to a more detailed links section but it points to competition entries. I would create a separate category for competition links and then have "Photo Links" to places like the Pinguish homepage.

One more: The photo restoration link in the footer seems to be way out of place. It links to a section of the website that I would have expected to be in the top menu rather than the footer. There also doesn't seem to be any relation to the rest of the site. Is this work that you've done? Are you offering this as a service? Is this just an example of what can be done? I think this needs to be moved and explained further or (in the case of the last question) removed altogether (there's loads of sites that show this type of thing and there are sites dedicated to it).

This is a minor point:

you say "Sorry, but there is currently no Photos in this Gallery at the moment." That is repeating. You could do with losing the "at the moment" from the end of the statement.

Now the good bits:

I think that the layout is fantastic. The colour scheme works really well.

It looks professional and is bloody fast, even on my 300k BB connection. How long did it take you and are you a pro at this?

My apologies for not visiting and commenting sooner. I was out on Saturday (as were a lot of people no doubt) and I don't often check through the individual fora for new messages. I pop in and have a look at the newest threads when I have time.

I hope this post is of some use to you. Just realised, it's taken me nearly half an hour to write this!!! I'm going to bed.

Collin
collinf 18 1.2k
22 Nov 2004 3:19PM
One more! It would be nice to see the date when people posted messages in the guestbook.

:o)
22 Nov 2004 3:59PM
Colin,

That is more like it, you had a really good look around and I will take on board many of your points.

1. There seems to be absolutely no reason for me to register on the site. Perhaps you could do with an obvious link that gives details of what members will get.

I need to explain it, but you cannot purchase unless registered, so just browsing allows people to do just that without registering, will make it clearer. I asked people on the forum to register to test the database table.

2. I don't like the fact that you only get 4 comments to a page in the Guestbook. You could do with configuring it so that you get ten or so per page.

I will alter that.

3. I (personally) would lose the "Me" from About Me and Contact Me. I will think about that.

4. You have two sections called "Photo Links". I expected the one in the top right to go to a more detailed links section but it points to competition entries. I would create a separate category for competition links and then have "Photo Links" to places like the Pinguish homepage.
that is lazy of me, will alter that.

5. One more: The photo restoration link in the footer seems to be way out of place. It links to a section of the website that I would have expected to be in the top menu rather than the footer. There also doesn't seem to be any relation to the rest of the site. Is this work that you've done? Are you offering this as a service? Is this just an example of what can be done? I think this needs to be moved and explained further or (in the case of the last question) removed altogether (there's loads of sites that show this type of thing and there are sites dedicated to it). I think I may remove this page.

6. This is a minor point:

you say "Sorry, but there is currently no Photos in this Gallery at the moment." That is repeating. You could do with losing the "at the moment" from the end of the statement.
I agree.

7. Now the good bits:

I think that the layout is fantastic. The colour scheme works really well.

It looks professional and is bloody fast, even on my 300k BB connection. How long did it take you and are you a pro at this?

Pro, yes I suppose I am at the engine behind these things, specifically Microsoft ASP based which this is, this enables me to have a Database at my host to hold users, guestbook, orders, and much more.

Speed is the big issue here with a photo WebSite like many others the graphic loading time can get laborious especially with 56k modem links like mine. The whole website except for the logo's and my pictures is CSS based so all the work in loading comes from CSS code, not bogging the site down with loading graphics, I am glad you noticed the performance because that is a plus with ASP and CSS based back-end.

My other main work was the Search which will be invaluable when 500 images are uploaded here, you can search by town, county, place names, event etc etc.

I have been working on and off on this for about 3 months but only in my spare time on evenings usually.

Thank you very much for some really good observations and ideas.

Chris
sabretalon 17 1.9k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2004 1:04AM
Just a quick one but you state all content is copyright of Chris Rudland, which can't be true can it?

You have the epz link and logo there!

You also mention that "which will also feature other selected photographers" so unless you own their copyright, the statement is wrong.

I know it is nit picking!

Also it looks more like a community site than a commercial site. You also talk about abstract images but I could not see any, and all the images on show on the front page are landscape/nature.

Other than that the speed is excellent at the moment and the colour scheme works ok.

In the search I found nothing for fungi? yet you have an image in your little slideshow!

Overall a nice site but a little bit more attention to details maybe required!
23 Nov 2004 11:28AM
sabretalon,

The ePHOTOzine logo is on their site, the image displayed is just the EC link which I am allowed to use.

Featured photographers will clearly be marked with the respective owners name and they retain copyright, I think I should probably state "Copyright belongs to the photographer who's name is displayed" or something like that so I will change it.

It's not nit picking, honestly.

Looking like a community site, that will have to stay cos I like the look and can't really redesign it all. Images under Abstract are missing because I have not loaded many until I am sure it all works, just testing user opinions really.

The slide show is Flash, so not searchable, but the images in it will all get loaded eventually and will be.

Thank you for your input.

Chris
sabretalon 17 1.9k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2004 12:00AM
What I meant by the community site bit, was that as mentioned before there is no clear message as to why you should register. You answered that earlier.

I think some blurb on there explaining a little about your sales. I like the idea of the series but you would have to change it on a regular basis, so maybe a link to the series from the home page and have more info on the sales or about the business and the things you do?

These are just thoughts and can be thrown out at anytime, most people ignore me anyway. Maybe it's because I'm usually sat in a corner rocking slowly in my chair, mumbling to myself?

I like the speed of the site and I am now looking to ASP, must first look to change my host has they only have cgi support. I have run some tests at work and I seem to have got the hang of it but need a work in progress site (will use my site for that) to try out all my ideas.

Just tried the link for Pinguish and got unresolved host name!
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2004 12:12AM
Hi Chris,just had another look,
my one Little nit pick would be the mats teeshirts and mugs thing?,

i get the impression that I'm looking to buy a fine art or a limited addition,and i can also order the above,

does not sit right with me but then that is just my own view.
24 Nov 2004 2:26AM
Glenn,

I am working on some of this today, so hopefully some changes later in the day will appear.

Chris
24 Nov 2004 2:29AM
Andy,

You're correct, I think i will drop that from the content as well as photo Restoration.

Can you email me please from my profile or website, I need to ask you a couple of questions.

Chris
24 Nov 2004 2:51AM
Will do.
24 Nov 2004 3:09AM
Sent email...
24 Nov 2004 7:22AM
Collin (Collinf)

I have made many changes, which you recommended, have a look when you have the time.

Chris
24 Nov 2004 7:50AM
Chris,one observation from your gallery,for example the image Barnstable is showing at a lower price than lets say purple haze,i would have thought they would be all the same price?for the size.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.