Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

More on wedding photography

Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
6 Oct 2009 12:54AM
I hope posting this here is OK, but seeing as everyone is discussing wedding photography, I was really chuffed to receive in the post today a copy of Real Life Weddings magazine, with a 7 page article illustrated with our pictures (interview with the bride Natasha, whose wedding we photographed). It looks like they have it on their website too.

As SWMBO and I have just been photo-ing weddings for three years it's quite a new experience for us having our wedding photos published (it's our second spread, we also have one in the current issue of Best Scottish Weddings), so it's a real buzz!
LensYews 12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2009 1:14AM
Great spread, congradulations, the photos looks fantastic and it sounds like you have two very happy clients there.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2009 4:10AM
Good publicity for you.

This year we've had weddings featured in OK Magazine twice (once for a premiership footballer I am not to mention the name of in relation to 'personal publicity' Wink and the other for the daughter of the owner of a Castle in Cheshire) and we were also the photographers at a wedding featured in Episode 3 of the TV Series "Four Weddings". Now that was an experience especially watching the episode when it was broadcast (cringe)

It all helps though doesn't it Smile
Geraint 14 715 34 Wales
6 Oct 2009 8:51AM
Congratulations! I think I've said so before, your portfolio on your website is superb. Glad you're getting good publicity.
Geraint
Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
6 Oct 2009 9:47AM
Thanks very much Smile

Quote:Now that was an experience especially watching the episode when it was broadcast (cringe)

I imagine it must have been, I find it painful enough listening to recordings of my voice, let alone video.

Quote:it sounds like you have two very happy clients there

We've always (so far, touch wood) been lucky with our clients, don't have any of the horror stories you sometimes hear. This couple were just lovely, their positivity and enthusiasm really comes across in the interview. Which helped a lot!
JamesBurns 13 1.3k 7
6 Oct 2009 9:52AM
How did you find it whilst they were filming? Were the crew very intrusive, or did they pretty much keep out the way as much as possible?
6 Oct 2009 10:23AM
Hi James

Incredibly, there were 4 film crews on the day as well as an outside gantry yet they were remarkably unobtrusive. The whole idea was that they filmed everything that went on as it happened with nothing stage managed and as you know ('cos you probably do the same with your weddings), the photographer becomes the MC on the day so we more or less decided what happened and when.

The really odd thing is that with 4 film crews filming for several hours, the total broadcast time was only about 10 mins but Neil and I managed to get in on shot plenty of times.

Virgin Media even bought some stills from us for their publicity.

We were episode 3 as I mentioned so we didn't have anything to go by but having seen the episode broadcast (and others in the series) and seen how the brides are 'treated', I couldn't possibly recommend any bride going through the process as some of the comments are quite hurtful. Jonathan, the producer, has asked is to source other couples because he liked the way we ran the day but there is no way I am going to suggest this to any of 'our' brides - the program is too cruel in my opinion though I suppose people taking part should know what it's all about by now.

Sorry to hijack the thread Smile
stix 16 924 87 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2009 11:45AM
As this seems to be a blow my trumpet thread, can I just say I have just been accepted as an Associate of the Royal Photographic society.
Martin Jordan ARPS Smile
Any more trumpets?
Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
6 Oct 2009 1:02PM
Congratulations Martin Jordan ARPS! Smile
steve_kershaw 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2009 1:14PM

Quote:We've always been lucky with our clients
is it luck?
a good friendly positive attitude will stop most problems from developing,
as I have said before your work is excellent and this credit is well deserved
6 Oct 2009 1:16PM
There is an element of luck in that so much depends on the clients, the venues and the weather as well as the attitude, professionalism and skill of the photographer.

We have gone as far on a couple of occasions of refusing a booking where we felt we had no connection with the couple (we were very subtle about it though Smile)
Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
6 Oct 2009 1:21PM
Thanks very much Steve Smile I guess it's a two way process - if you're friendly, helpful, positive and do your best ie. have a professional attitude, then that creates positive vibes which mean that the couple react well, and happy photos.

I'm sure there must be some lunatics in the world though! We've been lucky and haven't encountered them, but I guess it would be a matter of being as professional as possible, doing the job as well as possible in the circs.
Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
6 Oct 2009 1:26PM

Quote:We have gone as far on a couple of occasions of refusing a booking where we felt we had no connection with the couple

We would do the same if the situation arose. Because we want to carry on enjoying doing it, we put a lot of effort into it, and it would be soul-destroying doing it for someone who in some way didn't really want us to be there. On the whole I think we haven't had this because our style is a bit 'different', so people who pick us out usually do so because they want us. If they are not too sure about what they want, but just want someone to be there to take 'the formals' or have to have a photographer because everybody does have one, they probably go to the most visible guy eg. someone with a nearby high street presence.
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Oct 2009 7:31PM
lovely. well done.
Krakman 14 3.6k Scotland
6 Oct 2009 7:38PM
Thanks Cole! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.