Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Moto G5

Dabber 19 246 England
3 Oct 2017 11:43PM
I was discussing the merits of relying on using just a mobile. Phone with a decent camera for the family snapshots rather than carrying a camera as well.
I have bought a Moto G5 and with a SIM only deal it's costing me less than my old Samsung 3mini.
The photos actually look great.
However I haven't fathomed out how to copy the images into my hard drive.
With the Samsung there was a program called Kies which allows the PC to explore what is on the mini SD card. Is there anyone out there who uses a Moto 5G as I have described, especially if you could give me a link to the download required.
Thanks in advance

Dabber
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
4 Oct 2017 6:28AM
I don't have a G5, but any phone I've had I just connect it to the PC with a USB cable and download to any program. I use Lightroom, but try Picasa, a free download that is very user friendly. I've used it to download pics from a phone.
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
4 Oct 2017 8:40AM
I have a Moto G5, which I managed to get working once, then it stopped again. I installed some software from Motorola, then on the phone you have to change what it does when tethered, to allow the PC to access it. However, for some reason I can't get it working now Sad and for the few photos that I want to take off the phone, I upload them to Dropbox....

4 Oct 2017 8:46AM
OK I just tried it again and got it working on Windows 10.

Try this:

Plug in the phone, then you should get a notification appear on Windows that says something like "Select what happens when you plug in this device". There's an option on there called something like "Phone companion" - select that.

On the phone, swipe down from the top and you should see an option to set the USB mode. Select "Transfer files".

On the PC now, in the Phone Companion window (it asked me to sign in to my Microsoft account, but you probably don't need to), click on "Transfer other files with File Explorer" and you should get an explorer window open up with the G5 drives Internal Shared Storage and SD card. Go from there.
Dabber 19 246 England
4 Oct 2017 4:49PM
Hi Big Bri,
Thanks very much for your advice and of course it works a treat.
Someone at work suggested something similar, basically you have to understand all of the options and settings of a new phone to get the best out of them.
Anyway I can now download my holiday snapshots and see if this phone proves good enough to use regularly for my family's needs.
Thanks again
Dabber
4 Oct 2017 4:53PM
Excellent, glad it worked Smile
versa310 Plus
10 797 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2017 5:58PM
I use Bluetooth to transfer from moto g 4 to windows 10 and then to photoshop.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
4 Oct 2017 7:40PM
Try 645 Pro III, and Field Cam apps to get tonnes of excellent options. I think they're available for your phone. I use them on an iphone, and they're cheap and excellent quality, both by the same author.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.