Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Mounting Panoramas / Short Wide Images

Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 7:22PM
I've got some 20" x 16" mounts with 15" x 10" apertures. I'm considering doing a A3 large print of an image whose aspect ratio is 15 x 7.

I have been printing just over 15" for 10" on A3 and prints looks good mounted in the 20" x 16" mounts

Is there a way to mount my shorter, wider image using the same mounts without it looking stupid. I don't think there will be, but I'm new to mounting and I know there are techniques using several layers of card for some displays.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 8:37PM
A number of methods... One way I have used in the past is to print so that the width is about 1/2" smaller than the aperture, i.e. with your mounts 14" and then fix it behind the window, centred width wise and with a larger margin at the bottom, you can also emphasise things with a keyline say 1/16th" and to fill the empty space add a Title...
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 8:43PM
Brilliant, just the ideas I need, where would a keyline go, below or above or both? Forgive my ignorance on this.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 8:50PM
Key line all the way around ever so slightly away from the image, gives the impression of a double passe-partout mount.
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 11:45PM
Cheers Phil.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.