Moving from Windows to Apple - Be Gentle

James_H 12 7
4 Apr 2014 9:14AM
Hi Everyone. That's it i've finally had enough of my Samsung laptop running windows 8.1.

(Samsung NP770Z5E-S02UK Laptop, Intel Core i5, 2.6GHz now ... Intel Core i5, 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6" Matt Screen)

I have had years of tinkering with windows from 95 on-wards. In the early days i did not mind that much. But its kind of grating nearly 20 yrs on!

Now, all i want is a computer that works. So with my initial rant over. I am now looking squarely at Apple. Looking for an apple mac. looking to run LR5 and Elements 11.

My question is this, Do i need to have at much processing power as a windows machine and desperate graphics card in a mac book pro do edit my images?

I currently have a Fuji X-E2 and a canon Eos 50D although i am also looking at a full frame DSLR. I shoot landscape and like to stitch images together for panoramas.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Cheers all

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sparrowhawk Plus
11 277 2 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 9:34AM
in my experience macs are built for graphics work i love mine
ade123 Plus
6 285 1 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 9:38AM
Hi James,
I use a macbook pro with retina display and use Lightroom 5 & Elements 12 without any problems whatsoever.
Specs are.2.3 GHz intel i7, 8gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 ram, it has 250G HD,Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, I have external HD's for back up and storage of my files etc.
The system runs perfect.
I am not advertising for Apple its just what i have been used to for many years i have found it to be very reliable and any problems i have had which was once i have taken to my local Apple store and the problem rectified there and then.
The only reason i don't use an iMac etc is desk space etc at home so the macbook pro and an iPad more than suits my needs.

I hope this is of some use and good luck.
Adrian
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 9:48AM
James: if you know anyone in fulltime education (tutor or student) get them to buy directly from apple for you and ask for educational discount. Its worth about 10% usually (or a little more, and you get a deal on the care package).

Adam
James_H 12 7
4 Apr 2014 9:48AM

Quote:Hi James,
I use a macbook pro with retina display and use Lightroom 5 & Elements 12 without any problems whatsoever.
Specs are.2.3 GHz intel i7, 8gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 ram, it has 250G HD,Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, I have external HD's for back up and storage of my files etc.
The system runs perfect.
I am not advertising for Apple its just what i have been used to for many years i have found it to be very reliable and any problems i have had which was once i have taken to my local Apple store and the problem rectified there and then.
The only reason i don't use an iMac etc is desk space etc at home so the macbook pro and an iPad more than suits my needs.

Adrian

Quote:Hi James,
The system runs perfect.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, Is that a separate or integrated graphics card?
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 9:57AM
I am not sure if it really matters nowadays (for photo processing) whether you have an integrated card or a separate one. Once you start playing games or HD videos regularly is when it can start to show a difference.
ade123 Plus
6 285 1 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 10:16AM
Hi James,
It contains ,Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M & Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB so would say there is plenty of power etc even in the macbook pro
for editing etc. And as Mike explains if the system is used for gaming etc then it could slow the system down but having said that i have used iMovie and other software and haven't noticed an difference in performance.
One thing i would suggest is if possible go to an Apple store and look at the various systems and tell them what you require because they will be able to advise you as to what you require and you can then have what components you want.If you are serious about the mac it will be expensive so best to get it right in the first place and not regret getting what you wanted in the first place.
My local Apple store is Milton Keynes and i have to say they are absolutely brilliant in giving advice and after sales service.

Hope this helps
Adrian
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 11:31AM
the move will be painless and joyful Smile
frabstor 16 9 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 1:43PM
I've been using Macs since 1987....they've become part of my DNA .......you certainly won't regret it....user friendly and some!
Good luck
Malcolm
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 3:56PM

Quote:Intel Core i5, 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM

That must crawl when stitching dslr images together as you will run out of RAM very quickly. I've got 32gb RAM for handling my raw images with LR as well as SSDs for main drives. I use Mac and Windows and find that Photoshop, Lightroom etc run equally as fast.
4 Apr 2014 7:43PM
i switched to Mac, about 10 years ago. Never looked back.

Bought most recent one 2 years ago on line from Apple, as I could specify a 2TB hard drive, in store only available (at that time with 1TB)

Bought additional RAM from Crucial Memory, much less cost than Apple. Can't have too much RAM.
James_H 12 7
5 Apr 2014 7:17AM

Quote:Intel Core i5, 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM

That must crawl when stitching dslr images together as you will run out of RAM very quickly. I've got 32gb RAM for handling my raw images with LR as well as SSDs for main drives. I use Mac and Windows and find that Photoshop, Lightroom etc run equally as fast.

Hi John, Apart from the laptop being slow anyway. Yes it bottoms out when stitching pano's. I think i'll leave the stiching work to my desktop which is more than capable. Onnce that dies I'll look to change to Apple. But Laptop first!
Chant57 Plus
13 395 3 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2014 9:15AM
I switched to an iMac back in December,
i7 3.4 GHz 16 Gb RAM ,
and 1 TB Fusion Drive, it's lightening fast.
MGJ 11 372 6
5 Apr 2014 10:14AM
If you are going to use a slow computer (relative to the task), I'm afraid its no good blaming the OS.

There really isn't much between them Mac or PC is there? Just whether you prefer the OS. I'm not fond of 8, use Windows 7. But in the end, irrespective of operating system or manufacturer, a databus with a given transfer rate is a databus with a given transfer rate. A chip is a chip and it processes at a given speed. Feed it a mountain and it will take time. One can do a lot worse than to shut down a lot of the unnecessary processes - that kickstarts a machine a bit!

You put a 6 or 8 core processor behind a fast board, and some fast drives, and a lot of fast RAM, and it will crunch digits very quickly - MAC or PC. And, if the power supply won't supply enough power a core or two will shut down and it will slow. And of course, if you let it get hot, by not blowing the dust out (especially of laptops) they will slow down because there is a device in there to reduce the process rate to reduce chip temperature.

So I wouldn't pay extra for a Mac personally. I'd just get (or build) a computer that was up to the task that I set it. In the megapixel race, files are getting bigger and bigger, so one needs the machine to trot on a bit. Laptops are always a bit on the slow side aren't they, compared with a full spec PC?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.