Moving subject and focusing

Hi all My question is camera related.?
My question is camera related. when taking a phot moving subject (Say a Train) I'm setting my camera to Continues Focus and selecting Single point or multi point even Group Focus points and when i do a few test shots there fine yet when the train arives and passes when i review my image after the shot I find the train is not quite in focus were the focus point was set yet the back ground is. Can I say I've tried standing closer/further away I've even tried Pre focusing to no avail. My camera is set to back button focus an I have my camera Sat on a mini bean bag so there is no camera shake one odd thing tho as i hold my back button and fire off shots as the train passes the auto focus point doesn't move which I thought it might. also I no my camera focus is working because if I hold my camera at some thing and hold the back button and move the camera around it continusly refocuses...please help my camera is a nikon D500 with a Tamron 70-200 lens No VC or image stabilisation

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
5 Feb 2019 3:41PM
Can you upload one of the images in question so that it is easier to see and understand the problem? Just click on the camera icon in the comments box. (Image must be jpeg format.)
323750_1549390094.jpg

even the image seems dark even tho I used the light meter and it looks dull.....yet other peoples photos taken today are nothing like mine.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
5 Feb 2019 7:19PM
Were you shooting in Jpeg or RAW? My own feeling is that the image needs some post processing - if you shot in Jpeg then this may well be the reason for the difference between yours and others. I have had a go at post processing your image and have gone over the top a bit as I wanted to show you the difference it could make

273254_1549394376.jpg

Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
5 Feb 2019 7:33PM

Quote:the image seems dark even tho I used the light meter and it looks dull

That could be because the weather at the time was dull and your image is actually a reasonable representation of what was there.

With regard to the focusing issues, images uploaded to these forums are far too small for anyone to be able to offer any realistic help.

If you'd like the opinions of people who can genuinely help, I suggest that you upload a shot that you're not happy with to the Critique Gallery and let the guys there have a look.
Fma7 4 1.0k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2019 7:52PM
have a look here it should show you which focus point the camera has selected which might help
Hi guys
Thanks for all your help so far. Could I ask when I'm setting up prior to taking a shot I select Continuous Focus and then select either single focus point or some times group focus point (Either focus point is usualy set to centre anyway, then I rest my camera on something solid then as the train approaches i look through the eye piece and when the Train hits were I think the focus point is set i then press and continue to press the back button focus and fire rapid shots oddly the focus point does not move with train but I'm presuming that's because the camera is constantly refocusing with me continually pressing and holding the back button focus does this sound correct because if I choose the focus point option the one that fills the hole view finder when the train comes into the view finder a single focus point DOES seem to move and follows the train so to speak .
Can i also say i have herd of pre focusing using single focus (Normally used for static ) were one sets the focus point and when the Train runs through that point the train including everything else should be in focus but what I've found with that is because the camera focus on a certain spot when the train passes that spot because the train passes infront (TECHNICALLY closer to the camera the train tends to be out of focus and everything behind it in focus so I carnt win are camera only good for things that don't move..
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2019 7:50AM
As Jester says upload an image to the critique gallery...

You need to keep your single focus point on where you want to be in focus, so if you want the front of the train to be in focus that is where you need to keep your selected focus point.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.