Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Mozilla Firefox....anything I should know?

ejtumman 16 2.8k England
21 Mar 2005 1:30PM
After a day of Internet Explorer "Shutting Down due to Errors", and every update I've downloaded not having any effect on it at all, I've downloaded Firefox.

It seems to be working fine at the moment, but is there anything I should know about potential conflicts?

Emma ;o)
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2005 1:37PM
Should you have online banking then you could have a conflict using some facilities. I cant transfer funds with my bank if I use firefox while explorer is fine.
Ken
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
21 Mar 2005 1:48PM
Emma,

I have been using Firefox for a few weeks now, and apart from a few quirks I find it very good.
I can't say I have had any problems with online banking like Ken, but perhaps it does not effect all online banking.

You may sometimes get the message that the page contains no data.
This usually means the cache needs clearing which is very simple to do.
And you do get the odd website that does not display correctly, but this is not a fault of Firefox, but the html this is not standard.

Hope you enjoy using it.

Doug
ejtumman 16 2.8k England
21 Mar 2005 1:51PM
Thanks Ken and Doug,

I don't have online banking, so that won't be a problem (could never remember the pass code!!), and I've been on my usual web-haunts and haven't had problems yet.

Just wondered if there was any firewall or anti-virus it didn't like. I'm on zonealarm and avg.

Thanks
Emma ;o)
Shaun_W 15 102
21 Mar 2005 1:58PM
I use Firefox all the time (web pages allowing - national lottery doesn't like it), and have no problems doing financial stuff with Abbey, Nationwide, Egg and Fidelity. I use it on my home PC using Norton Antivirus and Internet Security, and my work laptop running MacAfee without any issues on either.

Having tabbed windows is great, and the suppression of pop-ups is a welcome.

I have had the odd 'page contains no data' that dougvAt mentions, but a reload soon cures that.

You'll never look back! (The Thunderbird email is good to)

Shaun
21 Mar 2005 2:29PM
whats the diffrence between explorer and firefox? Someone tryed telling me it was more secure, but i fail to see how?
ajm 16 232
21 Mar 2005 2:59PM
Because it does not download, by default, all the rubbish that IE does, it does not have the security holes that IE has, and as it is open source, people tend to support it, not try to blow it away.

It is also a smaller install, easier to run, more customisable - you really need it for mouse gestures and tabbed browsing if nothing else

Try it and see how you get on.

If you really want more information, I'm sure there is plenty on Google - Firefox as something like a 10% sare of the browser market now, from 0 a year or 2 ago.
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2005 2:59PM
Partly the security is to do with the coding (which I don't know much about), but I think a big part of it is that it's not as standardised as microsoft. I've been using it since the release last year, and I love it. Here's a bit from their website:

Is Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer?

Yes, Firefox and all other Mozilla-based products are more secure. Why? Here is a list of the most important reasons:

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
* There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
* No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
* Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
* You have complete control over cookies.
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2005 3:00PM
looks like ajm beat me to it...
ajm 16 232
21 Mar 2005 3:03PM
*just* That's all the stuff I could not be bothered typing in ;o)
mark a. 16 920 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2005 3:21PM
All you need to know about Firefox is:
- It's miles better than IE. In fact, you'll rarely need to use IE again.
- Make use of the tabbed browsing (i.e. click the scroll wheel of your mouse instead of the left mouse button on a link)
- Use the extensions - my favourites are Adblock (stops all those annoying ads from loading) and ForecastFox (it's a nice weather forecast that sits in the bottom right of your screen).

If you have any problems let us know - there are plenty of Firefox users on epz now (in fact Pete will be able to give you stats, I'm sure)
mark a. 16 920 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2005 3:21PM
All you need to know about Firefox is:
- It's miles better than IE. In fact, you'll rarely need to use IE again.
- Make use of the tabbed browsing (i.e. click the scroll wheel of your mouse instead of the left mouse button on a link)
- Use the extensions - my favourites are Adblock (stops all those annoying ads from loading) and ForecastFox (it's a nice weather forecast that sits in the bottom right of your screen).

If you have any problems let us know - there are plenty of Firefox users on epz now (in fact Pete will be able to give you stats, I'm sure)
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
21 Mar 2005 3:35PM
Emma,
Yes it works fine with Zone Alarm.
I run Zone Alarm Pro and have had no problems.
Oh and you can get a spell checker for it as well which is great for the forums!

Doug
cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
22 Mar 2005 12:42AM
Emma

I moved to Firefox recently after years on netscape (I only use IE for the occasional on-line purchases).

The adblock is a useful addition and it seems to work well with AVG.

I think you'll like it

jeff
UserRemoved 16 6.2k 1
22 Mar 2005 1:09AM
I use Firefox and find it excellent - fast and robust (and works well with Norton Internet Security)

There's a couple of tweaks to make it even faster (optimises Firefox according to your PC and modem) which have been compiled into a free utility - FireTune

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.