Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Mp3 player

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
20 Jan 2007 4:54PM
Bought Mp3 player SanDisk Sansa m240 1Gb MP3 Player, have had difficulties copying files over....
Just to state the obvious the MP3 logo did appear in my PC when USB connected. It did not come with software, only a disk with insructions as Acrobat files and an instruction book.

1/ copied from cd to mp3 (copy and past & drag and drop) - would not work
2/Used same method as above to copy from hard drive - would not work
3/Used Media player to rip tracks from cd onto hard drive - would not work
4/ Done something similair as above in windows explorer to copy tracks - would not work

5/Downloaded Windows Media player 10 then tried to syncronise tracks, - would not work

6/ Used old Usb to try methods above as well as one it came with - STILL WONT WORK! JUST ABOUT GIVEN UP! HELP!!!!!!!

I read a review which states
"are few issues that prevent it from getting 5 stars: if USB is on 'autodetect' files won't transfer; files might not copy if you have a certain amount of files in the root drive of the player regardless of whether it's filled to capacity"

Does any1 have any ideas of what I should do next and what the quote means. I could try to get my Money back, which would be better than binning it in frustration. Sarcasim aside it obviously works as it appears on my hard drive also checked if lock key was not activated, what would you recommend?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Takra 13 92 England
20 Jan 2007 4:59PM
I have SanDisk Sansa 4Gb one, are you putting the music files in the right place, the have to be in the right folder on the player to work, you may have to set your computer so that you can view hidden files and folders before the right folder will show up on the player when you go on it from eg 'my computer>mp3>music'
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
20 Jan 2007 5:43PM
I appreciate the reply, but if anyone else has any other ideas please let me know, as I am still at a loss
Tutterzzz 13 160 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2007 6:42PM
if the musics from an cd it will either be WMA or AAC depending if their ripped using itunes or windows media player

if its strictly and mp3 player you will need to convert them to MP3

i had this problem getting songs onto my phone until i realized it only played MP3'S i bought a cheap mp3 converter from pc-world and it works fine now

or sometimes itunes will let yuo convert AAC format into mp3 format
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
20 Jan 2007 7:55PM
This is supposed to play both mp3 & wma files, thanks but I'm stil at a loss
ejtumman 15 2.8k England
20 Jan 2007 8:08PM
I have a Sandisk mp3 player and to get the files across I just drag and drop........ no problems at all.

Have you tried creating a folder or subfolder of a few files you want to copy? Just an idea.

I can't say I've had any problems, so not really sure what to suggest. What appears when you try to drag and drop? Do you get an error message?

Emma ;o)
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
20 Jan 2007 10:08PM
Thank you all for the help,
I did get an error message indicating that the files need to be syncronised, I tried this and gues what? It would not work and I have also tried using a sub folder, to no avail
Conclusion
For whatever reason it is not excepting wma files, even though it is supposed to. The only thing left to try is copying actual MP3 files. For that I will need a conversion prog. Is there anywhere on the net I can download one for free legally?
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2007 11:15PM
Windows media player does that. P.S you should be on 11 if you upgraded it from windows. It may be worth doing that first.

Then on your rip options select MP3 not WMA as you choice and set your desired compression.

When you open the MP3 player with windows explorer what can you see. Is it that you have stuck some file formats on it that you should not?

Is there an option in the player to reset it to factory condition as if you have been trying to dump CD files direct into it you may have corrupted its memory or given it files it cannot cope with.

Or does it need to be set into a specific mode to talk to the PC. the message you quote may indicate that data transfer on USB may not be occurring. Try turning the PC and player off and removing the USB connector. re-start PC and let it finish its boot then connect the player to the USB port but still switched off. Does it now work?.
loweskid 18 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2007 11:55PM

Quote:For that I will need a conversion prog. Is there anywhere on the net I can download one for free legally?

I use audiograbber (free) but once or twice it's thrown up errors on odd tracks and skipped them, whereas Windows Media Player has read them with no problems.
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
21 Jan 2007 10:39AM
Changed option to MP3 but still not copying, did not understand the rest, give up

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.