EPZ Exclusive: 20% off ALL fotoVUE books (use code EPZ at checkout)!

My RAW files have way more contrast and saturation than JPEG

Hi,

Normally I only shoot video with my a6500. Today I decided to make some photos. When I make a picture, the camera always makes a JPEG and a RAW file of it.

The weird part is that my RAW files have a lot more contrast and saturation than my JPEG files. I am afraid I can't edit my photos good enough right now, very frustrating...

Can anyone help me with this? I placed an example of a JPEG and a RAW file in this post.

Kind regards,

Carlo314974_1518386261.jpg

314974_1518386314.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2018 8:52AM
Welcome to EPZ Carlo....

I am not familiar with your camera.

You don't say which piece of software you are using for your conversion, would be useful if you could.

You have attached two examples one which is the JPEG and the other a conversion to JPEG from the raw file, it is hard to know which is which though.

I will say that the difference you are seeing is simply down to default settings in your conversion software, all software does this to a greater or lesser extent to reach a starting point. A raw file is just that, the raw sensor data with a linear curve, usually with a few instructions as things like white balance etc in the header and usually with an embedded JPEG image with the camera settings which you view on the back of the camera or in some software.

Your raw file should be easily editable and processed to whatever stage you need (you want to do as much in the processing of the raw file as is possible, you are working with more data)
Tianshi_angie 3 2.2k England
12 Feb 2018 9:44AM
When a digital camera takes an image the data is in an unviewable form so it converts the information into a Jpeg in order for you to view it. The raw file is all the data presented in an unprocessed image in a viewable format which it is possible to be downloaded to a PC, but the actual Jpeg is a processed image produced by the camera with a lot of the information which has been used by the camera to produce the image discarded. The Raw file needs processing - all the information is included in order for you, the photographer, to make the image that you want. The Jpeg is the camera's idea of what you want.

The internet cannot show a raw file even though you have uploaded what you believe to be a raw file - it has been converted, in order to be shown, to a viewable format.. Understanding that a true raw file would be seen as a series of 0s and 1s may help you to understand some of the processes. And the digital information which a Jpeg contains was an agreement by the Joint Photographic Experts Group on a format which could be used by everyone for digital images on the internet.

Quote:Welcome to EPZ Carlo....

I am not familiar with your camera.

You don't say which piece of software you are using for your conversion, would be useful if you could.

You have attached two examples one which is the JPEG and the other a conversion to JPEG from the raw file, it is hard to know which is which though.

I will say that the difference you are seeing is simply down to default settings in your conversion software, all software does this to a greater or lesser extent to reach a starting point. A raw file is just that, the raw sensor data with a linear curve, usually with a few instructions as things like white balance etc in the header and usually with an embedded JPEG image with the camera settings which you view on the back of the camera or in some software.

Your raw file should be easily editable and processed to whatever stage you need (you want to do as much in the processing of the raw file as is possible, you are working with more data)

Thanks for the info! I thought a raw file always seems less saturated and have less contrast. This is a download link of the 2 pictures.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9313b0f71f1134860dc53cd06da70b1a20180212111237/4becb3d7bdb9fdf101772d080231e10e20180212111237/1d48c5?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=download_button&utm_source=notify_recipient_email

Quote:When a digital camera takes an image the data is in an unviewable form so it converts the information into a Jpeg in order for you to view it. The raw file is all the data presented in an unprocessed image in a viewable format which it is possible to be downloaded to a PC, but the actual Jpeg is a processed image produced by the camera with a lot of the information which has been used by the camera to produce the image discarded. The Raw file needs processing - all the information is included in order for you, the photographer, to make the image that you want. The Jpeg is the camera's idea of what you want.

The internet cannot show a raw file even though you have uploaded what you believe to be a raw file - it has been converted, in order to be shown, to a viewable format.. Understanding that a true raw file would be seen as a series of 0s and 1s may help you to understand some of the processes. And the digital information which a Jpeg contains was an agreement by the Joint Photographic Experts Group on a format which could be used by everyone for digital images on the internet.

Thanks for the info, my english isn't super good, so if I am right you're saying there isn't a problem. If you want to test it, here is a download link of the 2 files.
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9313b0f71f1134860dc53cd06da70b1a20180212111237/4becb3d7bdb9fdf101772d080231e10e20180212111237/1d48c5?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=download_button&utm_source=notify_recipient_email
thewilliam2 1 996
12 Feb 2018 11:19AM
Of all formats, the RAW should contain the most information and it's format will be unique, not just to the make of camera but, in the case of Nikon, to the model type.

We always shoot RAW. One advantage is that the dynamic range is greater so you can get a usable image with an exposure of up to two stops wrong in either direction. The intention is that we'll tweak the image in LR or PS.

I'd suggest that the problem lies with the post-processing. The RAW file should still be intact, unless you've deleted it, so have another go.

FabioKeiner 5 111 Austria
12 Feb 2018 12:01PM
a good FREE software for converting AND reworking RAW-files is 'RAW Therapee' ... maybe you should try it
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2018 12:40PM
Your download link isn't working Carlo, at least not here...

What software are you using for your conversion?

Yes a raw file in its 'raw' native state will be lower in contrast and saturation due to the linear curve and nature of the format.... However it is a very good chance that the software you are using for your conversion is applying some default processing so that the image you are seeing of your raw file looks good and gives you a reasonable start in your processing of the image.

You should (depending on the software) be able to zero or alter those defaults to your own liking, i.e if the saturation and contrast are too high for your taste then you will be able to lower them to your own personal preference.

If you let us know what the software is that you are using then you will get some help in how to do this, very difficult to do without the right information...

(I know english is not your first language but raw isn't capitals, it isn't an acronym Wink )

Quote:Your download link isn't working Carlo, at least not here...

What software are you using for your conversion?

Yes a raw file in its 'raw' native state will be lower in contrast and saturation due to the linear curve and nature of the format.... However it is a very good chance that the software you are using for your conversion is applying some default processing so that the image you are seeing of your raw file looks good and gives you a reasonable start in your processing of the image.

You should (depending on the software) be able to zero or alter those defaults to your own liking, i.e if the saturation and contrast are too high for your taste then you will be able to lower them to your own personal preference.

If you let us know what the software is that you are using then you will get some help in how to do this, very difficult to do without the right information...

(I know english is not your first language but raw isn't capitals, it isn't an acronym Wink )

I don't know another way to give you these files. Do you maybe know a way to put these files in this topic?
I did use Lightroom and Photoshop. But I also can open it on my standard mac Photo viewer and also there I see much more contrast and saturation.
12 Feb 2018 1:38PM
273254_1518442639.jpg

This is my interpretation of your Raw file Carlos processed in Adobe Camera Raw.
12 Feb 2018 1:40PM
For anyone else trying to download this ignore the initial page which says the file cannot be opened (at least that was what I got), just download with your browser and then click on the downloaded file to Open in PS.
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2018 1:46PM
You won't be able to attach the raw file here... perhaps Dropbox?

Both the attached images in your original post are underexposed btw.

Lightroom and Photoshops Camera Raw will be the same, you need to go to the 'Develop' module in Lightroom (LR) or the 'Basic' panel of Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop (ACR)...

There you will find sliders for Exposure, Contrast etc... and further down you will see Vibrance, Saturation etc.

You will first need to adjust the Exposure (move the slider to your right) for a good tonal range, below you will see a slider for Contrast, you can reduce this to how you want, initially ignore the other sliders and move the Saturation slider to the left to reduce, don't go overboard with adjustments, a little at a time is best.

None of these adjustments will make any change to your raw file...

It is worth having a look on You Tube etc for tutorials on LR and ACR (the other sliders in the panels are often better for adjusting your contrast, often with more finesse) I have just outlined a very basic way to go about it.
Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2018 1:49PM

Quote:For anyone else trying to download this ignore the initial page which says the file cannot be opened (at least that was what I got), just download with your browser and then click on the downloaded file to Open in PS.

Just a blank page when trying to download on a Mac, no other options....
12 Feb 2018 2:13PM
Do you get a white square with a blue 'Download' sign saying '2 files 30MB'?

273254_1518444979.jpg

Philh04 Plus
13 1.9k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2018 2:20PM
Nope... just a blank page... nothing whatsoever... zilch, even after waiting for 10mins nothing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.