My Rights on a second hand dishwasher that went on fire.

29 Sep 2014 1:04AM
You took the risks buying second hand goods from charity shop. I am not too good at law implications in this case, but if the shop refuses to remove the goods and repay the money you will have not much else to do as to go to court.

It will cost, and if you loose (which is entirely possible if the item in question was sold "as is" and without warranty) the court expenses will multiply that moderate sum you have already paid for the diswasher.

I would not think that manufacturer has sent their recall warnings to every machine user in person and every second hand goods seller in particular. The charity shop cannot be blamed for not looking for possiblle recalls on every goods they sell, otherwise it would be their main activity.

When buying second- hand goods I would always look for some written warranty statement, unless the seller issues some general "no return or exchange" warning. If you don't have one-you out of luck, sorry.

But talk to the shop anyway, or to the manufacturer if factory warranty period has not expired.

Good luck!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Sep 2014 3:56AM

Quote:
You took the risks buying second hand goods from charity shop.

Not true. The law is the same whether it's for second hand or new. The goods must be fit for the purpose. The only thing that the sale of goods act states, is that your expectations must be reasonable. In other words, don't complain that there is a scratch, however a dishwasher should be expected to wash dishes. There is no such thing as "sold as seen".
29 Sep 2014 5:31AM
Knowing the law does not enforce it automatically. There are some leeways in criminal law, leave alone commercial one. The final word is always after the court, and on occasions like this engaging with it may be not worth the money. This is the message I tried to pass on without pretending to be the law expert.

Cheers!
JonnyNI Plus
8 2.2k
29 Sep 2014 5:50AM

Quote:Well done for grabbing your camera and getting some shots - way more important than putting the fire out Grin

Lumix5 the photos were taken while I was trying to get it disconnected and TBH I'm glad the photos were taken as it shows even after a good few minutes of the fuse box tripping an appliance like this could still destroy a property or even worse take a life. If even one person sees one of those photos and decides to check their own appliances and discovers a recall, then for me its well worth it.
rhol2 8 369 1 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2014 8:50AM
Surely Home Contents insurance should cover this eventuality..worth checking
thewilliam 11 6.1k
29 Sep 2014 9:46AM
Remember that a full 50% of people involved in litigation will lose their case!
Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
29 Sep 2014 9:56AM
The only compensation you really need is to stop and think how lucky you are. If you'd been out another hour everything you own could have been destroyed.

There's a risk in leaving ovens, dishwashers etc unattended. Check the clauses in your insurance. There's also a risk in buying second-hand electricals, the chain of factory-wholesaler-shop is not straightforward, the previous owner or owners could have been nutcases who performed their own modifications.

Which charity shop sold you the dishwasher? I never knew they sold big stuff like that. I might donate some old fridges as it's cheaper than getting the council to take them away. Don't buy them though...
princeleo 4 1
18 Nov 2014 5:26PM
Mathieu Asselin: Monsanto – A Photographic Investigation

“My #photographic #project investigates key milestones in Monsanto’s 100 years #history by #documenting communities whose lives were #dramatically affected by unscrupulous policies of this corporation.”

- See more at: http://bit.ly/1vkOktv

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.