Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

My wife hates my pictures :(

cheddar-caveman 17 1.2k England
16 May 2011 9:07AM
Knowing the location and subject, we were there last year, I'm afraid I also team with your wife. It's a great shot, the composition is good so why spoil it with unnatural colouring.

I like the B/W as well, puts it back in the time it was built. Nice.
CaroleS Plus
10 442 3 United Kingdom
16 May 2011 10:06AM
Everyone likes what they like, at least your wife has a different viewpoint which gives food for thought.. When my husband and I go out with our cameras we are so much alike we end up with shots that look as though they could have been taken by one person only. We then compete as to who is going to be first to download as everyone would think we were using the same one!!
I personally prefer not to meddle too much with originals, but I do have to say that I loved the sepia version of your original photo. Hmmm I may just try a little more tweaking!!!!
17 May 2011 9:37AM
Personally I don't like a lot of post production. I think it can ruin the photo. Sometimes a little is needed, but not over done.
TrevW 11 118 United Kingdom
17 May 2011 10:22AM
Thanks again to everyone and your thoughts on this. I agree, it's all subjective.
I have since re-edited it slightly but my heart still leans to the warm colours of the 'tweaked' one. I posted it up on that other site, flickr (gasp!) and received an invite to add it to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard group. It was also tweated by Spinnaker_Tower as a nice picture of our nearby neighbor, HMS Warrior, so I assume it can't be that bad then Smile

Here's the link to my cropped and tweaked pic on flickr if you fancy another review Tongue Click here
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
17 May 2011 10:38AM
The only solution you have is a divorce I am afraid..... Tongue
Draig37 14 252 United Kingdom
17 May 2011 12:10PM
The way I see it with everyone thinking that new gear means better pictures is that your wife is really saying 'darling, you should go out and buy a new camera and lens - that way I'll like your pictures better' - nice of her really isn't it Grin
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
17 May 2011 12:12PM

Quote:....is that your wife is really saying 'darling, you should go out and buy a new camera and lens ....'

You wish !!!!! Smile
Draig37 14 252 United Kingdom
17 May 2011 12:26PM
I have the opposite problem - I have to stop my wife buying camera gear!!!
17 May 2011 12:31PM

Quote:I have the opposite problem - I have to stop my wife buying camera gear

We should never have let them burn their bras! Wink
TrevW 11 118 United Kingdom
17 May 2011 12:40PM
lol!! I don't think that would go down well. I'd image she'd take the opposite view - You're pictures are crap! Sell your gear, you're wasting your time! Wink
17 May 2011 1:18PM

Quote:Sell your gear, you're wasting your time!

Keep your gear - get out as much as possible with it!

Make sure you are never around when there is decorating to to be done! Smile

(Just off out - Mrs jas is emulsioning the lounge ceiling Grin )
Ian-Munro 13 200 15 Wales
17 May 2011 10:53PM
It doesn't matter how you get to an end result as long as you have achieved what you have set out to do. Also if you are very good with Photoshop then you can cook the crap out of images and still give them a natural look. Usually images straight out of camera may look natural but that's to someone who doesn't understand the process of editing. If they were to take a holiday snap they would get the same as you and thats what they relate to. The fact you have made it better does not register because its not what they saw. On the other hand if you took a picture and your wife didn't see the RAW file or wasn't there on the day and she still hates it...................then your a crap processor pmsl! .....just kidding.

BTW im with you on it.

ps, if I was to take a picture of my wife straight out of camera she would say "sh*t can't you do something in photoshop with that?" to which my reply would be........."Its just a computer program not a bloody......" Oh hi babe didn't see you by there.....................its gone dark.............Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.