Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

N. D. 10 stop filter

MikeH 13 217 4 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2009 8:46AM
I am looking to get one of these and would prefer the 100x150 for my Lee holder. I have an enquiry with Lee but wondered if anyone knew of anywhere else I could enquire . I have looked at FORMATT but find their website difficult and not clear .
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
The screw in ones are all on backorder every where.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 12 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Mar 2009 9:02AM
I don't think anyone do 100x150 yet, Lee might but not yet.
Formatt do 100x100, I think. But I was told by a fellow EPZer yesterday that it will cause severe color cast.
1 Mar 2009 11:05AM
Also if you did get a square one then I'd imagine you'd get light leaking into the lens behind the filter, IMO the screw-on one would be best.

Don't forget to cover the viewfinder while taking a photo with this filter too as light does enter through there and can cause problems.

I've got a B&W brand, 77mm one on order with the EPZ shop, cheapest I could find.

Just need to find an 86-77 stepping down ring now so I can use the 77mm filter on my Sigma 50-500, it will work cos I cut out a 72mm hole in a piece of card, allowing for filter coverage and there's no sign of vignetting, looks interesting, can't wait Smile

MikeH 13 217 4 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2009 11:26AM
Thanks for that Geoff but it is the 100x150 I want, suspect no one has got onto this yet. I may buy the screw in one but I have compromised before and regretted it,

Snapper Plus
13 4.3k 3 United States Outlying Islands
1 Mar 2009 11:37AM
Mike, the 150x100 is generally the size for grads so that you can move the filter up and down to place the ND part where you want it. If you are talking about a straight non-grad ND filter, I'm not sure why you would need a rectangle as you won't need to slide it up and down.
MeanGreeny 12 3.7k England
1 Mar 2009 1:33PM
There's a screw-in variable ND out there up to about 8x. I think it's from the USA and maybe uses 2 circular polarisers rotating independently of each other.

I forget the manufacturer but at least you now know it exists. Smile
MrsS 11 4.5k 18 England
1 Mar 2009 2:22PM
Having used both the screw-on one and the slot-in one last weekend, I can say that I really do prefer the slot-in type, especially if you want to use other grads - - it's a real pain having to set everything up then remove it all, screw on the filter and then put the other grads back with fingers crossed!

MrS has bought one from Formatt, but as Cole has said, it creates a really dreadful colour cast.

He's not around at the mo', but I'm sure he will add his tuppence-worth when he is.

Fran x
andytvcams 15 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2009 2:44PM

Quote:I am looking to get one of these and would prefer the 100x150 for my Lee holder. I have an enquiry with Lee

Lee will be happy to make you a custom filter to any spec you like but it will cost.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.