Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Naming natural history subjects

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
16 Dec 2007 4:19PM
Gerald may be able to enjoy a debate whether a picture is of "Aquila chrysaetos on Pinus sylvestris" or "Erithacus rubecula on Quercus robur", but I suspect even Cheryl would rather get back to enticing Sciurus vulgaris within range using Arachis hypogea. Wink

I notice that even the RSPB website doesn't give the Latin names except for family groups, so I think it's expecting a bit much for ePz members to do so !

Quote:So what did we all decide?
Good if you want to include it, but not a major crime if you don't

That's probably best.
Now, someone please help me complete the translation of "Homo sapiens sitting on fence" ...
16 Dec 2007 4:44PM
nils illegitimus carborundum
Draig37 14 252 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2007 4:56PM
our camera club allows people to call the bird by its English name - the only time that we have had to use the 'proper rules' is when the image has been entered into a specific external comp.

I'm all for correctness etc - but come on, sometimes....
Sus 16 3.2k 9 England
17 Dec 2007 12:20AM
I like to get a bit of education while viewing nice pictures, and likewise, am always utterly grateful when someone can identify my insects or flowers.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting 'rules', but tagging by the common English or latin name is polite, informative for us lesser mortals, and good practice, and should be encouraged in any keen natural history photographer.

What I would try not to do (which I have done in the past) is hesitate to post something just because I wasn't sure what it was. If politely requested, there is always someone bound to come along happy to give ID help.

And if the photographer really is keen on improving their natural history record shots, an expert should be able to identify the species from the shot, and so pointing out ways in which identification could have been easier/possible is part of critique.

Of course not everyone IS interested in identification of the species they have photographed, but if the DO know it is polite to tag it with such.

So as a polite suggestion, a very good one!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.