Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

National Newspaper - No Credit

LauraVest 15 33 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 10:36AM
Hi guys,

Had a look through the old posts to see if I could find anything related but couldn't. Sorry if it is a re-post though.

I was commissioned to take shots of wallpaper for an independent designer who was going to a trade show and needed images for her advertising postcards. Job went well. Paid promptly. Great.

At the trade show she received loads of interest and was actually interviewed by The Independent for a feature on graduates and struggling for work. The article is online only but they have used my photograph with no credit to me. This is my first photograph to be used by a newspaper (to my knowledge!) so I have no prior experience.

Should I contact the newspaper and ask to be credited online? Or do you think they will just laugh it off as they are a national paper and this may be small fry?

Thanks for any advice,

Laura
User_Removed 14 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 10:42AM
Did you assign copyright to your client when you took the pics for her ? They've got the full res pics from somewhere, presumably your client. If you didn't assign copyright to her then it may simply be a case of your client assuming she has the copyright because she commissioned the images. The paper may by innocent in this case, irrespective of how irritating it is Grin It's worth tackling your client about it first.
LauraVest 15 33 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 10:55AM
I gave the client a CD with the shots on so she could get the images made into the postcards, so she will have passed the file on. We did have a discussion about copyright and she knows they belong to me and I am entitled to a credit but I guess this has been missed out when passing onto the newspaper. It is frustrating and I am starting to wonder if following it up is a wise use of my time. Just would be great if my name was on there.
User_Removed 14 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 11:11AM
I know 20:20 hindsight is a great thing but you do you need to be much more clear about copyright and use in future assignments. Always put it in writing.

Conversely, make the best of a bad situation. You have every right to use the published form of your image for your own publicity on your web site and that is what you should do to ensure you get as much credit for your work as you can. Scan the published form and upload it.
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 12:04PM
Sometimes even with it in writing papers don't put a credit. I now refuse to supply any images for use in a local group of papers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.