Need to Transfer DVD content to USB Memory Sticks

Dabber 17 229 England
7 May 2019 11:01AM
As video tapes are now almost obsolete I have been transferring my various formats to DVD so that I can keep them available for viewing in a DVD player. However with the introduction of Smart TVs it seems that the DVD player is in danger of becoming extinct.
I am now trying to convert the DVDs into something that can be transferred to the USB 'as is'. I can convert the VOB files to MP4 files and save these onto a USB Memory stick, and they will play on the Smart TV but only as single files.
Does anyone know if there is a way of transferring them so that they play exactly as if it was a DVD?

Thanks for reading this
Dabber

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sausage Plus
14 577 United Kingdom
8 May 2019 8:30AM
On my Samsung tv my mp4 files play one after the other. This is from a hard drive attached to the telly. All in the same folder, they just play in alphabetical order.
Dabber 17 229 England
8 May 2019 10:04AM
Sausage, Thanks for that, I haven't got a smart TV (yet) but if that's the case I should be ok.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
8 May 2019 12:17PM
I suggest a Google of this question as I believe there are a number of ways of solving this without the expense of a Smart TV.
Dabber 17 229 England
9 May 2019 11:32AM
Tianshi_angie, thanks for your input, however the reason for my enquiry is because I intent to buy a smart TV. The smart TVs have USB ports that accept USB memory sticks and display images stored on them, photos, slide shows videos etc.
But my old VHS tapes, now transferred to DVD, need to be transferred to USB memory sticks to enable them to be viewed on the TV.
Although I can convert the VOB files to MP4 but I suspected that they would play individually, but 'sausage' tells me otherwise, so maybe I'll be OK.
As far as Googling goes I do try always try that road first, but invariably 'give up'! generally find all sorts random stuff, except the answer I require, it's obviously a skill I don't have, maybe an age thing!
Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
9 May 2019 12:02PM
Sorry for that Dabber - Google can be a bit of a maze. I think skimming through the 'headlines' can often weed out the irrelevant from the relevant. But personally if I get nowhere I ask the same question in a different way - it is after all only a machine and hasn't got the intelligence to work it out for itself!! Smile
DerekL 14 204 24 England
9 May 2019 7:11PM
Dabber 17 229 England
9 May 2019 10:10PM
Derek L, thanks for that link, this does look like it'll probably do the job.
I'll have a play with it over the weekend, and let you know what the results are.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.