Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Neewer Mono / Tripod.

Pygar 3 2 United Kingdom
23 Jun 2021 11:48AM
As any photographer on a limited budget, i looked into purchasing a multi functional tripod/monopod. As a complete novice in this area was drawn to Neewer's 168cm Carbon fibre mono/tripod. reasonably cheap, light weight easy to handle. So purchased said item and for three years OK. Then one day very recently the tripod leg broke at the hinge of one of the legs. Ah thought I contact Neewer and seek the possibility of purchasing a new part...well after several emails they eventually got the idea I wasn't asking to purchase a new one and asked for the old order number. I even supplied them pictures of the tripod, the good leg and damaged leg Duly sent and the reply was remarkable, sorry we cant help you however we can give you 10% discount on a new 168cm mono/tripod. Again I felt like i was running in circles. It seems they are only interested in selling New and have no interest in customer support with supplying spare parts. I appreciate that it was three years old and so no warranty but a spare leg would have been so easy. So I shall leave it up to you to think on do i buy something and then not have any possible support mechanisms after the warranty or do I look for equipment from someone who I can contact and work closely with and has some form of physicality. Oh and if anyone has a broken Neewer tripod 168cm let me know, its seems my only option apart from buy another or just use the monopod.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
23 Jun 2021 12:40PM
Neewer's stuff is OK but it's obviously bargain basement gear, built down to a price and I'm not at all surprised that there's no spare parts dept. Truth is, all their goods are probably sourced from elsewhere and given appropriate stickers.

For example, Neewer sell certain speedlights that are identical to ones with Mieke labels on them.

Over the years, I've bought various things with Neewer's name on it; all of which has worked well enough but if any of it failed after three years, I'd simply write it off.

That tripod, for example, costs about ninety five quid on Am_zon and in fairness it looks reasonable.

I don't suppose though that you'll find a similar one from Gitzo or Manfrotto far anything like that money.

keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Jun 2021 2:55PM
Take the 10% and then save up for three years for another one. Wink
altitude50 17 21.6k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2021 3:35PM
A Manfrotto monopod can be bought new for about 40. Various used good named ones start at about 10 on auction sites.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
23 Jun 2021 8:09PM

Quote:A Manfrotto monopod can be bought new for about 40.

Yes but not one that's similar to the one in question.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
23 Jun 2021 9:49PM
I bought manfrotto tripod many years ago not the cheapest but good quality. A couple of years ago I broke one of the joints but it was my fault. I went to the Manfrotto web site and had no problem ordering a spare part which came with clear instructions and the necessary tool.

Dave
24 Jun 2021 11:50AM
Look for one on e-bay or other sales outlets, you may be lucky and then you will have enough spares to keep you going for around 10 years
davereet 16 447 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2021 8:04PM
I also have a Manfrotto, had it for years and you can buy every single part at very reasonable price.
I have had the same experiance as Dave Canon.
Save up your money and get a quality tripod, you won't need to buy another one ever.

Dave
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2021 10:50AM
Personally, I find Manfrotto over hyped and expensive for the carbon fibre models. I have owned several and whilst my tripods get used and abused somewhat (sea water etc), the manfottos typically lasted only 12 months. My current tripod is a Novo. It's been used in exactly the same way I used the Manfrotto's but its still going strong after 4 years - I would definitely purchase from them again.
pink Plus
18 6.7k 8 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2021 12:53PM
Totally agree with Sherlob, I've binned about 3 Manfrottos over the years, mainly due to joints seizing up, even though the tripod was cleaned after saltwater use.
I have a small T10 Novo that I use for travel and its great, had it about 3 years with no issues.
My main (big) tripod is a Leofoto which is fantastic, super high and solid, comes with a 100mm bowl on which sits my RRS ball head, a great combination.
I also have an old Gitzo with one of the legs stuck in the open position, I use this with a gimbal head for long lens work, Gitzo seem well overpriced to me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.