Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

NEF workflow

tavm 14 31 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 10:18PM
At the moment I am using CS2 RAW plugin... It is a bit hit and miss.
What is everyone else's experience and what's the best overall program to use to process and edit RAW (NEF) files...
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Apr 2008 10:30PM
Capture NX.

Capture 1 Le & Capture 1 (4)

Lightroom.

PS/CS.....Also.

It's a toss up between Capture 1 (4) & Lightroom at the moment, But that may change as Lightroom becomes for familiar....To me anyhow...!

Capture NX is a bit clunky.....If they ever perfect this program it might be good, But the tools are clumsy to use, For me anyhow...!

Photoshops camera RAW, If you let it use the default settings it can be a bit odd, Make your own " Custom " setting with everything at 0 Zero.....Then make that the default option......! Then you have a basic unmolested RAW to Tiff conversion.........Play with the Tiff or carry on working as a RAW file.....to the finished product.....!

Whatever.........It's up to you....!
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Apr 2008 10:41PM

Quote:unmolested RAW to Tiff conversion

Quoting myself there, That's not quite right, When you open into PS, You still have a RAW data file, You can carry on working in RAW data, Or convert to Tiff.......According to some schools of thought, You can work raw data to the finished product......!

The choice is yours......!

It's been a long day, And my meds are wearing off....Smile
miptog 15 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 10:45PM
Another Vote for Capture 1 V 4 and Lightroom. Can't decide which I prefer Sad
Clactonian 15 88 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 11:06PM
The more I use Lightroom the more I like it. All edits are of course non-destructive which is a positive.
I'm currently trying the Beta of Lightroom 2 and that looks even better with a similar editing facility to Capture NX U-point technology.
tavm 14 31 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2008 9:16AM
Cheers guys. I will try a copy of lightroom.
dathersmith 14 565 12 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2008 3:20PM
I use CaptureNX and although it takes a bit of getting used to I find it very good.

Darren.
Wooly 15 112 4 England
25 Apr 2008 11:38AM
Another option to consider is Photomatix. Although it's intended to combine multiple exposures it also is excellent for a single exposure and gives you some very nice results.

My last upload was done that way.

Alan
loweskid 20 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2008 5:23PM
Bear in mind that, as far as I know, Capture NX is the only program that can read lens data and apply automatic corrections for chromatic aberration and vignetting (not all lenses though). There's a comparison of CA correction here (not done by me).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.