Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Neighbour killing birds

Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
3 Sep 2013 11:36PM

Quote:Wood pigeons are indeed pests

We get very few wood pigeons and even fewer smaller birds but have hundreds of kites.

Quote:Even firing an air rifle in your garden can cause you to break the law. If the pellets fall beyond your boundary or you are stood within 50ft of the centre line of a public highway

Yes as I thought, he is breaking the law.

Quote:Is he eating them? Getting clean kills? If so, it wouldn't bother me. Domestic cats are far worse

Clean kills, no, I get a few that die in my garden from time to time, and he`s not eating them.
franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 8:53AM
I would contact the RSPCA as they should investigate and they have the power to prosecute if proved.

Ken
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 9:56AM
Well good luck to you with the RSPCA. We had a cat killed by dogs intentionally released and goaded by two local scrotes. We gave names and addresses, and had a football match of co-operative witnesses. All the RSPCA did was take a walk around the field twice, labelled it as an isolated incident, and left. They'll never get a penny out of me.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
4 Sep 2013 9:57AM
Round our way, people spend a great deal of money to blast away at birds, mostly pheasant.

Then the 200 or 400 birds that die in a day's "sport" are just buried and that I do find disgusting. Especially when the local food bank struggles to supply the needy.

Wood pigeons can be delicious!
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 10:17AM

Quote:Then the 200 or 400 birds that die in a day's "sport" are just buried

Round our way they go to our local game shop and / or supermarkets, seems a total waste to bury them (assuming they are game birds?)
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 10:38AM
The law states that it is an offence to discharge an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre line of a highway "if by doing so you cause any member of the public, using that right of way, to be injured, interrupted or endangered" - so not quite as clear cut as simply being 50 feet away from a road.

Pellets leaving his land - if you can prove this it is an offence unless he has shooting permission on the land where the pellet lands.

Shooting birds. All birds are protected by law, including pigeons. Some birds may be shot under the terms of the General Licence which allows the shooting of certain birds provided that the birds are being shot to:

to prevent serious damage (e.g. to crops and livestock) or to prevent disease
or
to protect conserve flora and fauna
or
to protect public health or safety

:and that the shooter has the permission of the land owner to shoot on his land. Current species on the 2013 General Licence include crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves and feral pigeons.

So, for example if he owns the land, has a few raspberries in his garden which are being eaten by wood pigeons, is stood more then 50 foot from the centre line of the road and has a safe back drop to stop a pellet then he is legally entitled to shoot the pigeons. So long as he complies with the General Licence in terms of quarry, and the fire arms legislation in terms of using an air rifle in his garden he is doing nothing wrong.

Clean kills and whether or not he eats them are irrelevant.

If however he is shooting songbirds ... then shop the bas*ard!
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 11:09AM

Quote:The law states that it is an offence to discharge an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre line of a highway "if by doing so you cause any member of the public, using that right of way, to be injured, interrupted or endangered" - so not quite as clear cut as simply being 50 feet away from a road.

Very true. Never measured the exact distance to the road from where I shoot, but there is a large house in the way Wink

Quote:Clean kills and whether or not he eats them are irrelevant.

to the legal situation, agreed. It's my own personal view though that hunting for food is OK (unless you're a vegetarian), but killing for fun isn't (unless you're an evil cat). Of course, if it's genuine pest control on the grounds of health etc, then I wouldn't expect someone to eat what they shoot. Woodies are nice, but I wouldn't touch a feral pigeon.....
getting a clean kill is a moral issue - if you can't shoot well enough to kill something quickly then you shouldn't be doing it.
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 12:21PM
If you are worried about him shooting in his garden it might be an idea to contact the local police FEO (Firearms Enquiry Officer) and have a chat with them. At the least they may be able to give you proper advise and have the power to make his life very uncomfortable indeed if he is doing anything wrong.
4 Sep 2013 5:36PM
I passed it onto the Police to sort out, its out of my hands, its up to them if they want to do anything about it Smile Smile

Quote:Very true. Never measured the exact distance to the road from where I shoot, but there is a large house in the way

All he has between him self and a main road is a thin hedge so the pellets fired will be going across the road.
tomcat 15 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
4 Sep 2013 8:56PM

Quote:Domestic cats are far worse.

Oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wink
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 8:06PM
In reading some of these postings I'm not sure what people are complaining about. Killing the birds, firing an air rile or just being a nuisance neighbour. Safety should be the only issue here if he is firing in an ordinary garden. You cannot shoot a weapon within 200 ft of a public highway and neither must you allow the projectile to go into another persons property. In my view this is a safety issue and I do not believe that the police were not interested. I reported a 999 call and reported a gun (a 410 shotgun) was being discharged in a water culvert opposite my house - within half an hour the police helicopter was up and the place surrounded by armed police. They did not catch the culprits

As for the birds some are pests and need to be rid of especially feral pigeon, doves and wood pigeon, there are others. I have shot thousands of wood pigeon for farmers in my area and have never buried any. We always dropped them off to a butcher in a local village and in that time got 2/6 for them. Some I took home to eat.

I would be very happy if any neighbour of mine shot the dogs and cats in our area........ (8oP
5 Sep 2013 8:45PM

Quote:In reading some of these postings I'm not sure what people are complaining about. Killing the birds, firing an air rile or just being a nuisance neighbour

From me its mainly health and safety, and this neighbour is simply killing because he can, there is not a pest problem in my area, so all pretty pointless really.

People like him need dumping out in the wilderness, somewhere really remote with nothing but Reindeer Moss.
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 9:13PM

Quote:You cannot shoot a weapon within 200 ft of a public highway
Where'd that come from ? The one I'm aware of, which already has been quoted here, is

Quote:Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England &
Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50
ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without
lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the
highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2013 12:52PM

Quote:Where'd that come from ? The one I'm aware of, which already has been quoted here, is

You are right and I am wrong, but that's what my Police man friend quoted to me....

However, I still do not believe that the Police were not interested in the OP's complaint. Just tell someone you have a gun in your pocket and see what happens then...........!
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2013 2:24PM
I wondered if 200ft was a rough guide for safety, based on the effective range, which I believe would be up to 60 yards.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.