Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Neil Armstrong - First Man on the moon dies

779HOB 3 1.1k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 9:21AM

Quote:During the Vietnam war? It was a pretty distrustful time.

Two side in America at the time - the moon landings could have been seen as a way to not only put one over on the Russians but also unit the people behind the government and it's actions in Vietnam. People were distrusting of the government but I suspect they wanted to believe in them and the landings would have given them something to unit behind.

Quote:All this under the scrutiny of the worlds scientific community, and make sure no one involved ever talks..that is a big ask.

I really don't know - like I said I think they more than likely went - I was 2 and it doesn't really mean that much to me. I am not sure it made us better residents of our planet.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Aug 2012 9:23AM

Quote:leading Russian of their space-flight missions who said that they monitored the landing and the return flight as they really wanted it to fail.

Proof positive then.
franken Plus
12 3.6k 4 Wales
26 Aug 2012 12:40PM
I still find it hard to believe that people continue to think the moon landings were all faked. The cold war and the space race was on.

The Apollo was massive and it went into orbit before shooting off to the moon. How could they possibly hide the fact from all the nations of the world who are capable of tracking objects in orbit by simple radar?

How did this happen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/399468.stm
26 Aug 2012 12:45PM

Quote:I still find it hard to believe that people continue to think the moon landings were all faked.

I don't think that many people do really do they?
franken Plus
12 3.6k 4 Wales
26 Aug 2012 12:55PM
I should have said some people --oops!
26 Aug 2012 1:05PM

Quote:I should have said some people --oops!

Well some people believe Canon are better than Nikon so I guess maybe the same misguided people believe the landings were faked!
Carabosse Plus
12 39.8k 269 England
26 Aug 2012 2:33PM
Amazing to think they sent people to the moon and brought them back safely, with 1960s technology...... i.e. probably less computing power than in your iPad ! Wink

And that the Russians never managed it. It is easy to see why there are a few question marks.
CaptivePhotons 12 1.6k 2 England
26 Aug 2012 3:41PM

Quote:And that the Russians never managed it.

Which would have given them (especially at the time) all the more reason to deride the achievement and denounce it as a fake. Just think what a propaganda coup that would have been.
Carabosse Plus
12 39.8k 269 England
26 Aug 2012 7:57PM
Subsequent high-res images (e.g. below) has tended to show the hoax theories to be invalid but there will always be people who find it difficult to imagine how the lunar landings, and safe returns, were achieved with what is now be regarded as very primitive technology.

apollo-17.jpg

pulsar69 11 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 8:19PM
Like most things in life we are fed the information they want to feed us and whether we decide to eat it or not is up to us, most people fearing starvation take the bait. I am still firmly in the dont believe it happened camp and all the photos and evidence look suspicious in todays world of knowledge to me. Why if it was so easy in the 60s have we not set up a lunar base by now and be offering trips to the moon with 150000 shell points ??
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 8:59PM
Easy answer ,it costs too much money. I believe it happened.
rhol2 Plus
4 344 1 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 9:19PM
It certainly wasn't "easy in the 1960s". That's why it was such a great achievement at the time..

Those who deny it are people who make allegations then challenge others to disprove them..the oldest trick in the propagandists' book .
They are also besmirching the memory of Neil Armstrong and other astronauts.

Well I suppose some people just like to be contrary..
lobsterboy Plus
11 14.4k 13 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 9:21PM
Yup it costs a lot of money, the political will isn't there as the cold war is over, the basic physics of getting off the planet hasn't changed and there has yet to be a better solution then strapping yourself to a controlled explosion. Of course if you don't believe in it you don't half have to come up with a convoluted answer as to how it was all faked.
rhol2 Plus
4 344 1 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 9:34PM
In what ways was the technology "very primitive"? Space flight was already accomplished, the Apollo missions were a development of this.

Also the subsequent Apollo missions were instrumental in developing modern technologies. Do the deniers believe thet the further landings didn't take place either?
redhed17 9 715 England
26 Aug 2012 10:12PM
Don't bother trying to convince the people that don't believe in the Moon landings. If they don't believe now, they never will whatever you say. :-/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.