Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Networking / file & printer sharing

jakabout 16 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2006 8:24PM
Hi all
I have two computers hard wired to a BT Home Hub via ethernet cables. I need to be able to access info on both computers from either computer (If you catch my drift). In particular I need to be able to access my external drive which is connected to one pc from the other pc.

For starters how do I "network" the two computers so that I can just do simple file and printer sharing and secondly how do I access the external drive from the other computer?

I've tried using the Win XP home network wizards but I'm not getting anywhere. I can't get the PCs to see each other.

There must be a simple answer to this - I just can't figure it out.

I had another BT wireless router but it blew up during a storm :o( - I was able to network the PCs using this router but I can't remember what I did, if anything, to get it to work.

Any help would be very very much appreciated!

Ta, Judi
ksh 16 467
28 Oct 2006 8:34PM
Have you enabled the drive / folders that you want to share?
Right click them from "my computer" and select the "sharing and security" option
28 Oct 2006 8:36PM
Yep - all folders I want to share on both computers are set up for sharing.
Superficial 14 147
28 Oct 2006 8:37PM
Unless the router is very unusual, you won't need to change any settings on there for networking. There are plenty of guides on the internet for networking (Google them) - I'm not going to do a short guide here as it won't be comprehensive and it'll be a waste of time. But feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

What you want to do is certainly possible - the only slight problem is with the external hard drive. Whilst you can easily share an external drive on the network as for any other drive, it never seems to stay shared for me (E.g. when you disconnect it and reconnect it). And I don't know the answer to that one.
ksh 16 467
28 Oct 2006 8:39PM
chrisrudland 17 156 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2006 9:05PM
1. Have you set the router up to offer DHCP?
this will give out IP addresses to devices as they connect that will match the router IP address range. (Dynamic host configuration Protocol)

2. or fixed IP addresses on computers that match the router. (i.e) 192.168.1.1 router, pc1 192.168.1.2, pc2 192.168.1.3

3. Are hard disks formated with NTFS or FAT? if NTFS you need to enable security.. access control like read/write/change etc.

Get these basics set up first and then enable file, folder and printer sharing as required on the computers.

You will then be part of a workgroup if you have XP Home.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris
28 Oct 2006 9:40PM
Hi Chris, the BT Hub Manager show both compters (from either computer) and DHCP is active. I just can't get the computers to see each other. It's driving me nuts!!!
chezy 16 19
28 Oct 2006 9:58PM
You didn't say if you have any firewall software running but if you have I would check this first as I have known some to block file sharing if set too high.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.