WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

Neutral Density Help Needed

mcgovernjon 11 138 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2009 12:14PM
Hi
What is the cheapest (but good quality) circular 72mm ND filter I can buy that would allow me to take photos with shutter speeds of 1 min+ in daylight? Also, I'd like another less extreme ND for general use, i.e. waterfalls.

Also, I noticed that using f/8 on my Nikon 18-55 seems to get everything in focus, so is there any need to go above that? Is it true that smaller apertures reduce quality, and f/8 is the sharpness 'sweet spot'? If that is correct, is this the same for the Sigma 10-20?

Thanks for your help
Jon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Nov 2009 12:30PM

Quote:is this the same for the Sigma 10-20?

The same optical laws apply to all lens.

Quote:cheapest (but good quality)

Cheap & good, Thats a bit of a contradiction, Have a look at " Cokin " or " Lee " filters, Or the Hoya Pro 1, options....!
jonah794 10 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2009 1:22PM
Any filters with an ND of 0.9-3.0 will do. I would go with Hitech.
Jonah
Hugeknot 15 1.2k 2 Iceland
1 Nov 2009 1:49PM

Quote:If that is correct, is this the same for the Sigma 10-20?

It is a rule of thumb, but lenses do vary slightly.
This link will show you the sweet spots for the 10-20 f/4.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Nov 2009 7:18PM

Quote:will show you the sweet spots for the 10-20 f/4

Amusing, But it shows nothing of the " Refraction " effect, That you get at small apertures.

This link explains it all....Wink
mcgovernjon 11 138 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2009 7:27PM
Thanks Smile
JohnParminter 13 1.3k 14 England
1 Nov 2009 9:41PM
Jon, if you could invest in a filter system such as Lee, Cokin X or Z, Hitech etc then you would be able to benefit from attaching polariser, ND filters, ND grads and or a combination of all of these onto the front of your lens. They are expensive I know but in the long run more useful.

For the screw in type try Hoya or even a Jessops brand but ask if they are genuinely colour neutral.

Quote:Also, I noticed that using f/8 on my Nikon 18-55 seems to get everything in focus, so is there any need to go above that? Is it true that smaller apertures reduce quality, and f/8 is the sharpness 'sweet spot'? If that is correct, is this the same for the Sigma 10-20?

f/8 will likely get everything appearing in focus with a reasonable DOF but this can depend on your focal length you use and where you actually focus, remember only the actual place you do focus is physically in focus, all the other areas either appear in focus or out of focus.
Lenses may have 'Sweet spots' where they are sharper but I personally never enter this into the equaltion when I decide my exposure. I use whatever aperture I think appropriate for the creative effect I want to achieve, be it DOF or f/32 say to achieve a slow shutter speed.

JP
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2009 7:18AM

Quote:Amusing, But it shows nothing of the " Refraction " effect

You mean 'defraction' of course Wink (sorry)

Quote:What is the cheapest (but good quality) circular 72mm ND filter I can buy that would allow me to take photos with shutter speeds of 1 min+ in daylight?

You will be looking for an 8 or 10 stop ND filter. From what I hear, they are not cheap
Purplelady 10 2
3 Nov 2009 10:16AM
I have just bought the 10 stop ND filter from B&W filters. I don't know if it is the cheapest, but I have been told not to scrimp on anything that you put in front of the lens, which makes sense I suppose
NikLG 14 1.7k England
3 Nov 2009 1:44PM
I bought some REALLY cheap ND filters ( and grads ) about a year ago. I think it came to about 30 quid for 2 holders and 4 filters. I wanted to see if I ever used them before investing in anything more expensive / better. I have used them twice so far...Kood they were / are called..can't remember where I got them though. They seem to be OK as far as I can tell. But then again, I am not a 'pro' by any stretch of the imagination, so they'll do for me...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.