Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

New body to complement my 7D for wedding photography

AndyLeslie 11 141 8 Wales
16 Jul 2011 3:46PM
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a new second body to use for weddings. My primary 7D is great but the 400D second body just doesn't cut it any more. So, another 7D or a 60D are my main thoughts, although a 5D MK II is also there or thereabouts, but much more expensive.

All constructive and helpful thoughts welcomed....

Andy

(I also do a lot of wildlife, so any body that suits that is good, which is why I'm leaning toward APS-C)
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
16 Jul 2011 4:08PM
A full frame body would be your best bet, IMHO, not only for weddings but for wildlife too. The high ISO performance is a big advantage over the 7D.
For wildlife, the crop factor is a huge advantage, but on the other hand, so is the better performance of the full frame camera, when the light levels drop.
Having a full frame camera to go alongside your existing 7D means you'll have the best of both worlds.
If your budget will stretch to it, the 5D Mk II is superb. If finance are more limited, and/or, you have no use for the video mode, then get a secondhand 5D (Mk I).
Terry L 17 609 5 England
16 Jul 2011 4:21PM
I have to agree with Justin, I have the 5D Mk2 and the 7D and find that they compliment each other well, the faster frame rate and crop factor when needed from the 7D and the better low light capabilities coupled with the excellent image quality from the 5D Mk2. You can't go wrong.
16 Jul 2011 5:42PM
Another vote here for the 5D MkII. I have it plus the 7D and think its a great combo. As said above, the 5d's low light capability is stunning but the 7D is the better for wildlife. Having that combo also means the same lens can be used more flexibly with each camera (by which I mean a 100mm becomes a 160mm on the 7D etc). And I agree with Justin, get a 5D if funds are tight. I got a second hand 5D (Mark 1) and it soon became my 1st choice for everything except long range wildlife. In image quality it beat the 7D hands down. And I was so impressed I then forked out for the MkII.
AndyLeslie 11 141 8 Wales
17 Jul 2011 12:12AM
Although I do favour the 5DII, it does mean that I have to get longer lenses to use whilst capturing wildlife. So I'll carefully count the pennies and make a purchase later this year.

I should add that I have assiduously avoided EF-S lenses just to enable me to move to full frame at some point.

Thanks for the input, folks!
18 Jul 2011 12:50PM
Have you tried finding second body on the internet. There are several sites which offer used up things sometimes they offer good things as well. Try there you will definitely get some good things...
Phil1958 12 272 4 Wales
26 Jul 2011 9:29PM
I use a 7D and 5D mk1 for weddings - but only EVER use L glass and never EFS lenses. IQ is superb from both bodies, 2nd hand 5D mk1 on
MPB 709.00 in exc+
Phil1958 12 272 4 Wales
26 Jul 2011 9:36PM
There's one in classifieds on EPZ for sale for 600
canon_stu 17 140 4 England
26 Jul 2011 11:12PM
5D mk2 without a doubt, sold my 7d and went to the mk2, the focussing isnt as bad as they say on the 5d, no where near the 7d but still not bad. But the image quality even at iso 3200 still prints beautifully, far better than anything i ever got with my 7d as noise was always an issue with that at over iso 800.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.