ADVERTISEMENT
New Year, New Gear, Fresh Photo Opportunities With MPB

New but old member

RockyD 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2022 8:55AM
Morning all,

Craig here from warrington.

I was a member on here about 15yrs+ ago? How time has flown!

I could not remember my login details so created a new account.

Always remember the meets I went to in Blackpool, padley gorge and the lakes with fond memories.

Remember meeting with a chap called Ian who took a lot of pictures of the Antony Gormley statues in Crosby. I've lost touch with him which is a shame. Hope he's doing well 🙏 and still active?

Few others I remember are I think are Andy? Photographer for bbc?

Jas? Or justjas?

Also remember the banter for Canon v nikon users and if you was reviewing the picture you had just took on the LCD screen it had a nickname 😄

Was always a fun place to be and learnt so much.

Unfortunately I had to sell my camera gear in 2010 and deleted every photo I ever took 🙈🥲

Now looking a getting some new gear but wow some changes to DSLRs and now mirrorless?

Come back here to read, learn and see what camera/lenses I should be getting this time. Had the Canon 30d back then.

Hope to get involved in the near future 🙏
Big Bri 21 16.7k United Kingdom
26 Nov 2022 9:47AM
Welcome back Craig. I never left, but am not really "active" on here much so don't know who is left from the old days.

Andy (TVcams) passed away some years ago now. No idea what happened to JAS.

The Ian you met might be digicammad - he's still around but like me not very active.
Most of the people I became friends with through banter on here and meeting up for trips just stay in touch by other means now.

(and I think "chimping" is the word you're looking for.... "ooh ooh" Wink )
RockyD 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2022 10:08AM
Ah Big Bri I remember you too mate. Hope your doing well.

Very sad news to hear about Andy.

Hope Jas is well.

Glad to hear Ian is still around.

And it was chimping 😄

Carabosse Plus
19 43.1k 270 England
26 Nov 2022 10:13AM
Hi Craig and welcome back. Smile

There's another (inactive) member on here with the same actual name as you: Daveyboy16. Could this have been your previous username?

Just Jas is still around and posts occasionally.

Probably a majority have moved to mirrorless cameras - DSLRs are kinda yesterday's technology. Many use smartphones instead of compacts.

Let us know what sort of budget you have for a system and I'm sure you'll get suggestions.

RockyD 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2022 10:18AM
Hi Carabosse

Nope, not me Sad

Used to call this place EPZ for short but its changed so much.

Will have a mooch around to see if I can find my old account now I'm here.

Mirrorless does seem the way forward. Currently looking at the R7. But will see.
RockyD 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2022 10:26AM
Just found a comment from 2005. It's deffo me, but says user removed.

Never mind. A fresh start it is 🤣
Carabosse Plus
19 43.1k 270 England
26 Nov 2022 10:38AM

Quote:Used to call this place EPZ for short but its changed so much.

Many of us still do. EPZ has been changed by the smartphone phenomenon. Now more a reviews and competitions/challenges site. Forum is very quiet but a lot less contentious.

Photography is now part of everyday life for such a high percentage of the population, kids included. The ability to instantly upload to social media, instant messaging etc is almost taken for granted.

Some people who take loads of photos every day have never owned a 'proper' camera and possibly never will. Camera sales are in the doldrums.

Wielding a camera can even be regarded as a rather suspect activity! 😁
RockyD 4 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2022 10:55AM
That's true.

I've been out of it for so long I forget the changes the world has had as its taken for granted as its now the norm.

I bought a drone (mavic 2 Pro 3 years ago) that's definitely labeled as suspicious 🤣
Just Jas Plus
21 26.4k 1 England
27 Nov 2022 1:12AM
High RockyD - still around and glad to see you back. I use mirrorless these days but still have a couple 300D's.
jas

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.