New Camera.

wrinkles 10 351 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2009 12:25PM
If I purchase the canon D7, which general lens should I buy.
Or would the Nikon D300 be better a better purchase.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2009 12:51PM
If I was investing in a Canon 7D, I would be considering 'L' glass to complement it.
Possibly a 24-105, or a 24-70 and a 70-200mm.
You need to consider the focal range that most of your photography fits into, and then buy a lens accordingly.
You could buy a 18-300mm or similar to encompass all needs, but IMHO, you will not appreciate what the 7D is capable of, without something more specific.
cambirder 15 7.2k England
14 Nov 2009 12:56PM
As you already have Milnolta / Sony kit, is there a reason why you are looking to shift to Canon / Nikon?
davey_griffo 10 213 165 England
14 Nov 2009 1:56PM
As cambirder says, why switch? I've been reading some pretty rave reviews of the Sony a550 lately. Digital Photo tested it against the Nikon D90, & quality wise, it was as good if not better. The Nikon inevitably won, as they felt it handled better. Probably cos they're used to handling Nikons.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on one. I just have to wait a while, as I can't afford it yet.
wrinkles 10 351 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2009 3:55PM
When I read the various "Mags" it's Canon or Nikon to the fore,so perhaps I feel out of place with my Mionolta.
My local Jessop's have no Sony 500-550 to look at.
Grampy 10 507 71 England
14 Nov 2009 4:42PM
I would stick to Canon or Nikon , If you have friends who have one or the other think about sharing lenses.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
14 Nov 2009 5:01PM
Canon do have monopoly on the advertising side of things for certain - but honestly you have a working setup currently so don't ditch it just for popularity. Look to the features and where your limitations are with your current setup - if your current manufacturer produces gear which can meet you needs then don't bother switching (And all the cost involved) just upgrade within your setup.
Also as for sharing lenses unless your regularly shooting with the same people I would not factor this into choosing. Otherwise your just holding to one setup to get a play with that one lens once in a blue moon and that aint really worth the costs.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.