Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

New camera, glass or technique?

DannoM 12 58 England
21 Jun 2009 4:51PM
Having started photography just over a year ago, i have come to a crossroad.

My main interest is wildlife (birds), ive had the nikon D40 and the 70-300mm VR lense all this time and think that i know how to use it pretty well.

Anyway, im pleased with some of my results but just feel they lack something, sharpness, colour that sort of thing.

Im thinking of maybe upgrading from this setup eg, D300 70-200mm F2.8.

Would this improve my images and get me the colour, sharpness etc. Perhaps its my technique and field craft letting me down.

Rather than spend money that perhaps isnt needed i thought i would seek your advice.

Thanks in advance

Danno
KBan 16 512 4 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2009 4:55PM
just looked at your bird shots Danno, can't see much wrong, I used the 70 300 for a while, now have the Nikon 70 20mm 2.8 with 1.7 converter.

Maybe you need a longer lens if you are wanting more bird shots.

keith
csurry 19 9.2k 92
21 Jun 2009 4:58PM
Just taken a quick look at your portfolio and there has been a distinct positive progression in the work.

Whilst the 70-200 is better glass, faster and will give better contrast it is also 100mm shorter, so you'd need to get closer to your subject. Some images look as though you are already cropping in, so that my not be the best move.

The D300 is a super camera, but glass is going to be a major factor in any upgrade.

Not really sure what to suggest, but if you go 70-200 you will need to factor in the 1.4 or 1.7x convertor as well to retain the same focal length approximately as now.

Some of the colour and contrast could be down to post-processing, but without knowing more about the software used, and whether you shoot RAW or jpeg then again it is hard to help too much.
DannoM 12 58 England
21 Jun 2009 5:03PM
thanks for replies, i shoot in raw and use CS2. Mainly just a crop with some unsharp mask is applied.

thanks for comments keith and cheryl, i just feel sometimes my shots could be better but im still learning so i cant complain too much.
User_Removed 17 455 13 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2009 5:46PM
The pictures generally look sharp to me. I would expect a bit more processing than crop and sharpen if you are working from a raw file.
DannoM 12 58 England
21 Jun 2009 5:59PM
perhaps i need to learn photoshop in more detail, thanks for advice

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.