Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

New Camera/Lens

User_Removed 14 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2010 12:32PM

Quote:
Unobtainable images: Internal hanger shots of front line aircraft at night, very early morning/sunset shots at airshows.

Tripod. Far more important than camera/lens.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
15 Jul 2010 1:12PM
I just think that you have got parts of the equation very, very wrong.

"I am currently deliberating the choice between the 550D or the 50D and am paralysed by the simple choice - whichever one I buy I will immediately find that tomorrow a newer version is available for the less then the price I paid."

It just doesn't work like that. As I said on another thread recently, "impending update phobia" just doesn't hold water. The kit you buy today will do exactly the same job in 5 years time. The fact that, by then, there may have been several upgrades does not in the least diminish what your kit will do. Plus, upgrades are almost always considerably more expensive than the previous version.

"I do many events per year, equestrian, motor racing, motorcycle, Shuttleworth, Duxford, Riat, Farnborough, County shows, RSPB wildlife, Architecture, Landscape, Abstract, Macro, occasional friends weddings/parties etc .. the upshot is that my equipment is a compromise....it does everything but not very well."

Sorry. The kit that you mention is capable of producing superb results right across the range. To a very limited extent, expensive lenses will make some things easier but, in virtually all cases, there are "workarounds" that cost nothing.

"The suggestion of buying used equipment does not appeal - I had considered this but my trust in human kind and my faith in sellers is very much based on previous experience and Caveat Emptor."

You may have had a bad experience and I am sorry about that. But to let it diminish your trust in humankind is very, very sad indeed. I buy virtually all my photographic equipment on Ebay (both used and new). My current kit comprises a Nikon D300 (from HK via Ebay), nine Nikon or Sigma lenses (both new and secondhand), umpteen filters, releases,tripods, flashguns, etc., plus three or four bags. I have not been in a camera retailer's shop in the past 10 years and I have not had a single bad experience buying secondhand or online.

But, as they say, horses for courses and different strokes for different folks. Each to his own.

I am sure that you will find an answer to your photographic requirements. Curing your mistrust in other people may take a little longer.
Thincat 14 616
15 Jul 2010 2:02PM

Quote:
I am currently deliberating the choice between the 550D or the 50D and am paralysed by the simple choice - whichever one I buy I will immediately find that tomorrow a newer version is available for the less then the price I paid.

Get a Sony then - I bought an A700 about 3 years ago and there's no sign of an update on the market any time soon, just firmware upgrades. Sad

Seriously though, for what you do (i.e. long lens stuff) you need good IS and fast focus. If you're going for a Canon, don't even consider a lens without IS. Also bear in mind that IS is an evolving technology and the 100-400 is an old design, which is almost certainly due an update - in terms of IS if nothing else. My Sony A700 (which cost 700 new some time ago) and a second hand Minolta 100-400mm (275) work really well for this kind of shooting - very sharp even when hand-held at 400mm.

Quote:I have not had a single bad experience buying secondhand or online.

You've been lucky then. I bought a lens described as mint which would have been better described as junk - expensive junk. The seller was unwilling to refund the money but when I pointed out that I knew where he lived he saw reason.
Nike55 15 966 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2010 4:29PM
To hell with the justification..bought a Canon D7 at lunchtime.

Should be fun trying to figure it out in the wet at Fairford tomorrow....Wink
Nike55 15 966 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2010 10:03AM
Just as an update...

Canon 7D seems fine, Canon IS 70-300 lens has a flaw,
as blur/ fringing on right hand side. This wasn't too noticeable on Canon 300D but obvious with 7D.

So saving for a new lens - might have the 70-300 service checked, but never happy with this lens espec. 'macro' function. I use a w/angle for static displays and 300 is too short for airshows - I don't shoot normally shoot formations just 2- 4 aircraft elements.

- After a day there I remembered the reason I stopped going to RIAT!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.