New Competition

raziel_uk 16 4.9k
5 Jan 2005 8:14AM
So epz has joined up with Microsoft and Canon for their biggest competition ever.

I often read how people hate Microsoft on these threads and I can only assume that those same people will - like me - not be entering the competition.

I use Microsoft products because I have to, not out of choice - there's no point my running a word processing service with StarOffice (my preferred system) when all my clients use Word. I do, however, use Opera for my browser and Eudora for my emails.

Had a thought though, would I be allowed to enter this competition if I was only associated with the Canon part of it (as I am a big fan of their printers) and a condition of my winning was that I was only given the Canon prizes, my photographs were not hung in MSN's HQ and my name was not used in any association with Microsoft whatsoever?

Ashley

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bernie 16 2.2k
5 Jan 2005 8:25AM
No....
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
Tell you what Ashley. You enter and if you win I will take the Microsoft portions of the prize so you don't have to be embarassed by having your name associated with one of the most successful companies of all time (regardless of business practices).

Ian
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
One day we'll get something right for you Ashley.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
5 Jan 2005 8:28AM
Hey, there are lots of things right about epz! There's... um... and not to mention... err... and of course... well, yes.

:o)

Ashley
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
5 Jan 2005 8:32AM
Not sure I would want my name associated with one of the most ethically unsound businesses of all time though no matter how "successful" they are.

But in answer to your proposal I would be more than happy to let you have the Microsoft prizes if I can have the Canon ones!

:o)

Ashley
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 8:36AM
Have you ever put petrol in your car Ashley?
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 8:37AM
Most ethicaly unsound companies of all time, wow, there have been better. We could have the ones that set up poluting factories in the third world employing child labour first could we not? How about the ones that run drugs etc.

Microsoft are not purer than the driven snow but I doubt they are that bad.
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
5 Jan 2005 8:50AM
If you research it in enough detail, there's a lot of dirty laundry belonging to Microsoft, but most people don't have the time or the inclination to go into it in detail. That includes me, but I have picked up some reliable information here and there, including from some recent court cases.

I agree though that "most ethically unsound of all time" is probably a slight overstatement! Smile

Bottom line is, if you don't want to be associated with the Microsoft name, don't win this competition!

Doug
kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
5 Jan 2005 8:52AM
Ethically - they are one of the soundest global companies on earth. This may come as a surprise, it did to me, but then I have a friend who works in ethical research and presented me with the facts rather than the hearsay.

BTW - most broadband companies including NTL and Telewest have large parts owned by Microsoft . . . if you want to boycott MS - where do you stop?

The very fact you set up a business reliate on MS makes me laugh . . . lighten up, enter the competition . . .
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 8:53AM
I would have though Microsoft would be more worried about being asociated with me. No on second thought as I am highly unlikely to win their reputation is safe Smile
UserRemoved 16 4.2k
5 Jan 2005 8:55AM
LOL Ashley!!!

Canon - hmmm wonder what they were doing from 1933-1945?

Take it you dont ride in Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes, BMW etc etc.

Catch a grip - there are very few totally 'ethical' companies around, even less so with previous backgrounds or who deal with other companies.

If you dont like the competition, then dont enter!
mark a. 16 920 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 9:31AM
What you could do, Ashley, is take the Microsoft prize then either:

(a) sell it. That way you can get some free money, and still be free of the evils of Microsoft, or
(b) beat it with a hammer, burn it and bury it somewhere deep and inaccessible. You could even get someone to photograph you doing it, and see if you could get that photo displayed in MSN's HQ instead!
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
5 Jan 2005 9:41AM
I agree with Bernie.
rletham 16 890 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2005 10:28AM
If you don't like the competition, I suggest you do the following:

Take a whole load of photos and give them away as freebies to everyone in the whole world that needs photos. Then when every other photographer in the world (even the ones who are better than you) have gone out of business, enter the photo competition and you will be the only one that the judges will have to choose from. Even if your pictures crap, by that time it won't matter.

Thats what Microsoft do when THEY don't like the competition ;o)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.