New Digital Cameras - Are you looking to buy one?

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2019 12:14AM

Quote:The Canon R & RP tick my boxes !!!.....smaller & lighter than my 5D, & my lenses would
still fit (with the adapter )........just cannot justify the cost !!!!....dammit !!.Blush

I'm with Keith and the EOS-r, but the cost to switch ( and all its Native EF Lenses i'd suddenly need) is a major jump. It might be 2/3 years yet before a hypothetical EOS 6R become impossible to ignore.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 598 England
26 Oct 2019 11:51AM
Happy with my EOS R (and 5D3 as it happens), so no desire to look for another 5 years if there's some feature ir significant enouigh improvement in an area of performance that I can benefit from.
A lens upgrade is next on the cards though.

If I want to improve my photography no amount of shiny new kit is going to help.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
27 Oct 2019 9:16PM

Quote:It's been a busy few months - plenty of new cameras announced, and pre-announced, are you excited by the new cameras, or happy with your current camera?

New cameras recently announced (in no particular order):

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III , 20mp Micro Four Thirds
Fujifilm X-Pro3 , 26mp APS-C, with sub-monitor, and "hidden" screen
Nikon Z50 , 20mp APS-C, Z-Mount camera
Canon EOS M200 , 24mp APS-C, entry level mirrorless
Fujifilm X-A7 , 24mp APS-C, entry level mirrorless
Sony Alpha A9 Mark II , 24mp professional camera, 20fps

And in "development" and pre-announced:
Nikon D6
Canon EOS 1DX Mark III

If we go back to August, there's also the Sony A6600 , A6100 , Panasonic Lumix S1H , Canon EOS 90D , and Canon EOS M6 Mark II .

We've also reviewed the 61mp (!) Sony Alpha A7R IV , and had a look at the unique Sigma fp .

What camera(s) interest you the most?

Some that become un-loved and get dumped for a newer model.

Lol there are a lot of crazy buyers out there.
GeorgeP Plus
12 55 23 United States
5 Nov 2019 4:06PM
My Pentax K5 is about to give up the ghost.The shutter is making strange noises and repairs will cost more than the camera is worth. So, I'm definitely looking. All those recent notifications of fantastic camera bodies make my mouth water but I am probably not going to change manufacturers and start a new collection of lenses. Pentax are making noises about a new "flagship" APS body but I probably won't be making that investment. Realistically, a replacement "gently used" K5 IIs might fit my photographic needs - at significantly less cost.

In short, a new camera with all the bells and whistles would be nice . . . but I don't think I really need all those bells and whistles. [Maybe I should upgrade my photography level from interest to fanatic and then reconsider. SmileSmileSmile]
redhed17 14 866 England
5 Nov 2019 10:41PM
I've moved through Nikon D70>D200>D300>D300S>D500. Almost all have been a huge improvement on the previous camera. D300>D300S was the latter to replace a D300 which stolen. That was a modest improvement. Wink That camera felt like it was moulded for my hand. lol

Each camera was arguably the best crop sensor DSLR at the time, so I was more than happy with each. The D500 does everything I want now though, and I don't think any manufacturer could offer me anything to consider replacing it. I doubt that we may see any crop sensor DSLR to come close to the D500 at this point. :-/

I have no interest in mirrorless. At this point I don't find the D500 too big/heavy, so no need to change. It is nice not to have any GAS. Smile The same with lenses, I have three lenses, 10-20mm, 16-80mm and 70-300mm, and they cover all that I need at a good enough quality with good size and weight. Smile

I am still interested in the technology, but only as an observer. Smile I think there are a lot of people happy with what they have, which is why there is a contracting camera market. An ageing photographer population makes smaller lighter cameras attractive though, and if you can upgrade other features at the same time, kudos. Smile
spacetuna New Member
6 Nov 2019 6:25PM
Just pulled the trigger on the 5DS and 6D Mark II for dirt cheap...
I'll look at mirrorless in a few years when the prices come down.
11 Nov 2019 1:41PM

Quote:Very happy with what I have now (Fuji X-T3) but am on the lookout for a second, identical used body to use at gigs, in order to not have to change lenses all the time.

Totally agree. X-T3 does just about all I need, but another would be nice for the same reason as Malc. Next purchases will be more prime lenses for the X-T3.

PS - Cant see why anyone would change a 5D4 or even 5D3 for the mirrorless Canon, The performance gain is small, the cost is high and you have to change the lenses to get much benefit on weight. If I was starting out buying a new full frame I'd probably buy it (or a Sony) but I would not change one very good Canon full frame for another at this point.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.