Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

New flight security

cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
23 Mar 2017 12:54PM
Was on a flight a few years ago where they gave out iPads to people who had prebooked or were rich!!! I believe you can get rollup keyboards...But the airlines could just as easily hand out WiFi keyboards and any documents could be saved to the cloud....(plenty of those around?) 😁😁😁🤔

We did NZ but opted for the change at Singapore and Sydney (with stopover in Bangkok on the way back). US seems a little fragile at the moment. Best to be safe 😁
chensuriashi Plus
14 333 18 England
23 Mar 2017 3:38PM
It was just those Korean Airline flights and Singapore, Kuala Lumpa, were those flights that went missing Kuala Lumpa is very expensive and very very hot so really want to go USA to see the aquarium at Los Angeles and Hollywood on different legs of the trip, hope to get some coastal landscapes of the area too with a bus ride away from the Hotel.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
23 Mar 2017 5:31PM

Quote:I think the dangers of flying are somewhat exaggerated. I seem to remember reading that you have a 1 in 4.2 million chance of being killed/injured due to a commercial flight accident....compare this with the 180, 000 casualties (of which nearly 1,900 were deaths) on the UK roads last year and it puts it into perspective.

You're right, of course. However, I have known many more victims of airplane crashes, personally, than victims of car crashes, obviously because of my association with the industry for so many years, my best friend through childhood among them. I have also talked to many survivors of airplane crashes, and in most cases, some little quirk of fate seems to have saved their lives. I don't criticise the governments for eliminating more ways for the scum to strike at the innocent public, but each time they do it, they drive off more and more potential customers. The last 15 years I was flying, I commuted about 2000 miles to and from work, and I used my airline passes, which were $82 return, of which $32 was the airline's service charge, and $50 was taxes, surtaxes, and security fees. The airlines began itemizing the charges on everybody's tickets to let them know what they were paying for, and the various governments and agencies kicked up such a fuss, that they had to stop. When the Government turned over control of Air Traffic Control and maintenance and monitoring of aviation nav aids and systems to private companies, the government conveniently continued to charge for them, and the cost was doubled when these companies charged their fees. It took years to get things under control, but as far as I know, the travelling public still pay double for those services. Again, when the airlines began itemizing all those charges for the public's info, they were stopped by government. The trend today is to remove as much interference by government in people's everyday lives as possible, but there is an organised resistance to the effort worldwide, by parties who obviously will lose billions if it happens. Our friend CB, a member on here used to say the world is controlled by a few big business people, and I used to laugh at him, not any more.Tongue
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2017 7:22AM
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2017 7:50AM

Quote:adequate "packaging", as well as good insurance.

An indirect detail to consider is, when coming back from Africa to UK via Amsterdam, all incoming hold luggage is inspected at Amsterdam before the onward flight to UK.
I have found hold luggage items carefully packed in Africa are no longer packaged when getting home in the UK Sad
With insurance you need your own as the carriers liabiliyy is less than 100 per kilogram, which gets you very little distance if an expensive body, lens or laptop gets damaged.
With your own insurance it is important to check cover remains in force on equipment destined for the hold as it is "out of your control" during the journey.
Whether regulations in general will in the future get so tight that film cameras become the only option remains to be seen. Lockerbie did not involve an incoming flight from one of the listed airports.

Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2017 8:47AM

Quote:Lockerbie did not involve an incoming flight from one of the listed airports.

How is that relevant? The world terror situation has changed dramatically in the intervening 28 years.
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2017 11:20AM

Quote:
Quote:Lockerbie did not involve an incoming flight from one of the listed airports.

How is that relevant? The world terror situation has changed dramatically in the intervening 28 years.

My point was made in relation to how the bomb was got on board the flight.
chensuriashi Plus
14 333 18 England
29 Mar 2017 11:46AM
Hi all I just checked with American Airlines for cameras in carry-on bags, and cameras with batteries are allowed, all valuable things should be kept on you during the flight, she said.
But I will call more towards the time what is happening as it would be difficult at the Checking In desk to put the cams in the luggage....Wink
cats_123 Plus
17 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
30 Mar 2017 7:40AM
More shenanigans?

Trump Travel ban

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.