Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

New Interest in Black and White

StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
11 Mar 2017 8:14PM
17006_1489263168.jpg

Standoff: jpeg straight out of camera with RAW+jpeg and Mono set.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Mar 2017 8:37PM
17006_1489264530.jpg

This image was taken in bright sunlight, and after conversion I in LR I used shadows to try and get more detail in the animal, without losing snow detail.
MGJ 11 372 6
11 Mar 2017 8:53PM
It is all a matter of choice of course - I use adjustment brushes with contrast a lot. I like the wolf, but the snow is lacking in form, and the wolf doesn't leap off the screen - though one must make due allowance for compression, and the fact that it is a small picture.

As a suggestion, get the snow sorted by darkening the shadows, - it has to glitter in the sun. Get some detail and contrast in the wolf's side, lighten his face, darken the bottom right hand corner, and make a lightened lead in from bottom left to the wolf.

Then sharpen it - not the LR capture sharpen, because that is all it does - it is only Pixel Genius capture sharpening routine licensed to Adobe, not a proper sharpen. Selectively sharpen the wolf, especially its face, resize down, and sharpen for web, probably a wide edge sharpen.

Give it a go - see what you think. But make the picture do what you want it to do - use adjustments to take the viewer to where you want him to go
11 Mar 2017 10:24PM
Thanks. Experimenting. The original has all that, but I'm trying out b& w.
12 Mar 2017 5:00AM
17006_1489294738.jpg

Converted in Snapseed on iPad.
1 Apr 2017 8:28AM
17006_1491031691.jpg
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
1 Apr 2017 10:30AM

Quote:So to confirm, filters do affect the digital jpg(on camera screen) and the resulting RAW file once uploaded to ACR(and I would image, Lightroom

If you didn't attach the filter to the camera you could use Lr or Ps to decide what shade of gray that orange becomes. You could have black doors or white doors if you wanted. By filtering in front of the lens you've made a decision early rather than later, you've actually limited your later options.

250184_1491038581.jpg

There's some images further up the page where the sky is a dull mid-gray. Using the Aqua and Blue sliders in Lr to cut down the blue would turn the sky a rich black.

Traditionally if you wanted a rich black sky with white clouds you could use a filter on your camera that would block blue light, the camera wouldn't 'see' blue objects and would record them as black. For example your orange filter would block blue green etc but let in orange, orange objects would look much lighter than blue or green objects.

There's a definite advantage in capturing all of the light then separating your colours into tones on your computer.

1 Apr 2017 7:06PM

Quote:I have stopped uploading stuff to EPZ, and one might not make the effort for web stuff, but the adjustments are certainly true of fine B&W prints for sale, competition or exhibition. Mostly one can do it all in ACR, but each image is just littered with adjustment brush lollipops, or layers if working in PS.

If you begin uploading to the site again, maybe some of us will take inspiration from your work. It appears you've done your research, and I will be doing the same when I get the time, right now I'm tied up most days and only get to sit at the PC late at night when I'm zonked.Tongue

The images I'm posting in this thread are mostly presets, because I am usually too tired to do any editing.
TareqPhoto 5 18 United Arab Emirates
3 Apr 2017 1:44PM
I hope to return back to B&W after long time away from photography itself, but not sure if i should do that with digital or film.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.