Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

New Lastolite umbrella kit for hot-shoe flash

videoman Plus
14 58 1 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 5:09PM
Hi Folks,
Like most photographers, I have a couple of flashguns and sometimes need to take "studio" style portraits but not often enough to warrant buying a full studio flash set-up.
These new kits from Lastolite seem to be a good "in between".
Just wondered if anyone has used them yet, and if so please tell us about them.
Here's a link to what I'm talking about:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-lastolite-100cm-all-in-one-umbrella-kit/p1023901&utm_source=WEX062c&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=lastolite-umbrella-kit&cm_mmc=email-_-wex062c-_-product-_-lastolite-umbrella-kit
Regards.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
7 Oct 2009 5:41PM
Linky

I don't have that exact kit, but I do use my speedlights, on lightstands, with brollies, and that should be fine for you. If you're willing to shop around a little, and source the parts (lightstand, coldshoe and brolly) individually, then you can probably get it for less money.
minniema 10 48 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 8:45PM
Wow thats a stupid price for a kit that you could pick up heck of alot cheaper if you shopped around on say ebay for the bits individually. It probably would run out cheaper to but a Interfit light kit then 2 of these!!
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Oct 2009 8:48PM
jenquest 16 561 1 Tokelau
7 Oct 2009 9:10PM

Quote:Softbox set for hot-shoe flash

Excellent stuff. Though my wallet's not too happy.
duratorque 16 427 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 9:19PM
I bought a light stand from 7dayshop for 14, an flash/umbrella bracket for 6 and umbrella for 7 from ebay. I would not pay 99.
fauxtography 14 6.6k 36
7 Oct 2009 9:21PM
That softbox is a good price too!

I agree with James, they will do you fine but you can get better value, I got pretty much the same kit but 2 of, rather than just the one of, for just over 100 from Calumet with their own brand.
JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
7 Oct 2009 9:24PM
Just as an aside... If you're ever planning on using this kind of setup outside, regardless of brollys or softboxes, then you need something to weight your stands down with. The least bit of wind will have your kit sacrificing itself on whatever hard surface you're currently standing on.
SKavanagh 11 312 5 England
8 Oct 2009 7:45AM

Quote:Softbox set for hot-shoe flash
I bought one of these soft boxes from Elemental recently and its excellent alot better made than the lastalite job.
videoman Plus
14 58 1 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2009 4:00PM
Hi Folks,
Many thanks for all the info and comments.
The Calumet and Elemental stuff looks great and cheaper.
That's the great thing about getting advice from a forum like this.
Regards,
Doug.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.