50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

New laws effecting us Photographers

filmforever 13 775
8 Mar 2010 8:57PM
PS. I notice the congestion charge is still in place with Boris in charge. Perhaps he knows that the city will go into gridlock the minute its removed, so perhaps its a good idea after all. I certainly wish they would introduce it in Cambridge it would make cycling somewhat easier.

Congestion is one of the by-products of a successful city....London has always been congested, there are accounts of it being so in medieval times!
Perhaps as well as introducing a congestion charge in Cambridge, they'll take way the traffic lights as well, save you all the inconvenience of having to run red lights?
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
9 Mar 2010 1:19AM

Quote:I notice the congestion charge is still in place with Boris in charge

I don't recall Boris ever undertaking to remove it - only to have a public consultation about the extension of the charge.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
9 Mar 2010 9:00AM

Quote:Congestion is one of the by-products of a successful city....London has always been congested, there are accounts of it being so in medieval times!

Whether it is a sign of success or otherwise, you can't just ignore it. You can't build more roads to take it so the only option you have is to get at least some of the non-essential traffic off the roads, and it would seem that charging people works.

Quote:Perhaps as well as introducing a congestion charge in Cambridge, they'll take way the traffic lights as well, save you all the inconvenience of having to run red lights?

I don't run red lights, but I have come within an inch of being taken out by a car driver doing exactly that. Yes there are a lot of idiots on bikes, but unfortunately they become dangerous idiots when they get behind the wheel of a car.
filmforever 13 775
9 Mar 2010 12:13PM

Quote:I notice the congestion charge is still in place with Boris in charge

I don't recall Boris ever undertaking to remove it - only to have a public consultation about the extension of the charge.

He's stated that he's taking out the Western Extension Zone Charge. Frankly I wouldn't trust this bumbling Tory anymore than I would Livingstone to keep his word.

To get back to the point of Labour governments always wanting to CONTROL everything. It surely must be obvious that with the number of CCTV cameras on our streets, we are being "spied upon" more than ever under this government, and that London Councils are gleefully pocketing millions by using them to dish out parking tickets for totally pedantic reasons (Incidentally, having been the victims of one of these cameras, I fought the Council all the way to the Adjudicator, and won my case, which more people should do when they are wrongly fined.)

It has been mentioned in an earlier post that CCTV are only designed to hit "soft" targets like motorists.....Oh...so that makes it all right does it?...most photographers are also motorists, who need their vehicle to cart their gear around and to get to assignments as quickly as possible.

These same cameras are also being used to hassle photographers in Oxford St. and the South Bank. Amazingly there still seem to be some police officers (often the so called "community warden" types) who seem to think you need permission to take pictures of landmarks in London. Well it's up to the individual photographer to stand his ground, even more so with "jumped up" security guards of the type encountered in the vicinity of City Hall....These "jobsworths" have NO AUTHORITY WHATSOEVER to stop you taking pictures in a public place, just make sure you let them know it...I have.
They tend to back off somewhat if you forcefully make it clear to them you know your rights, then ask them for their names and their boss's name so you can formally complain about their behaviour.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 12:28PM
Its not just a labour thing, the local conservative council has been slapping up CCTV like its going out of fashion, which it may well be. Lets face it governments like to be in control, why else do people go for those roles, and why else is it all of the mending up behaving the same.

Too much spleen not enough fact me thinks ;-0
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 1:03PM

Quote:even more so with "jumped up" security guards of the type encountered in the vicinity of City Hall....These "jobsworths" have NO AUTHORITY WHATSOEVER to stop you taking pictures in a public place,

But the area around City Hall is not a public place - it is priivate land owned by More London.
filmforever 13 775
9 Mar 2010 1:24PM
But the area around City Hall is not a public place - it is priivate land owned by More London.

Where are the boundary lines/notices to state this? Without these, claims of being private land are meaningless in law.
And how far back along the Embankment is this "private land" supposed to stretch?
The same thing was said about Canary Wharf, but I seem to recall that attempts to stop photographers photographing have come to nothing.
And how come these "security guards" never seem to get in the way of TV cameras filming on their "private land"??
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 1:28PM
TV cameras probably have gained prior consent.
filmforever 13 775
9 Mar 2010 1:37PM

Quote:TV cameras probably have gained prior consent.

Not necessarily, I've worked in the industry, and know that there are are plenty of "last minute" news situations that crop up, where a TV company would scramble a crew to "get down there right away", with no time for written permission to be obtained, even if it were needed.
lobsterboy Plus
9 Mar 2010 1:40PM

Quote:Where are the boundary lines/notices to state this? Without these, claims of being private land are meaningless in law.
And how far back along the Embankment is this "private land" supposed to stretch?

There are notices, there is also a line marked in the pavement.
Basically it is a line that runs parallel to the Thames so that the public area is the width of the Thames walkway.
filmforever 13 775
9 Mar 2010 1:59PM

Quote:
There are notices, there is also a line marked in the pavement.
Basically it is a line that runs parallel to the Thames so that the public area is the width of the Thames walkway.

So there should be no problems taking pictures from the angle loking towards Tower Bridge with City Hall on the right. In this position you should be well within a public area, yet there have still been problems with officious security guards
lobsterboy Plus
9 Mar 2010 2:26PM

Quote:So there should be no problems taking pictures from the angle loking towards Tower Bridge with City Hall on the right. In this position you should be well within a public area, yet there have still been problems with officious security guards

if your not over the line then you shouldn't get any hassle, if you are over the line use a compact and you won't get any hassle either. If you use a DSLR always reply "No" to the "Are you a professional photographer?" question and they don't hassle you. If you use a tripod...forget it - they all suffer from tripodophobia.
Though I find the best option is to take my mate steve with me - he attracts security guards like a magnet...leaving me to carry on unhindered.
filmforever 13 775
9 Mar 2010 2:48PM
Talking of tripodephobia....again TV crews (who have bigger tripods than most) strangely are unaffected by this affliction!...I wonder why????
Some years ago during the (comrade) Mayor Livingstone era, A security guard demanded that I remove my tripod......I was doing some twilight pics. of the river in the area of Gabriels Wharf......I replied for what reason?......."Elf and Safety, someone could trip over it"...besides you need a permit from the Mayor's Office......"Oh really", I said, "and how much does that cost?"
"400", answered the security guard....."Oh I see", I replied..."So in other words, providing I bung 400 into Mayor Livingstone's coffers, it ceases to be a "Elf and Safety" issue".......".Would you like to repeat these conditions into my mini tape recorder?"
Security guard shuffles uncomfortably away and I continue taking nighttime pics on my tripod mounted RB67.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2010 3:37PM

Quote:again TV crews (who have bigger tripods than most) strangely are unaffected by this affliction!...I wonder why????

everyone wants their 5 minutes of fame and that's the job of TV - so you can't turn them away Wink

DSLR's on the other hand are owned by "pedos and terrorists" - (I thoguht everyone knew that now Sad )

I've even had debates with "Jobsworths" about why a monopod isn't a tripod,

"see, this has only got one leg whereas a tripod has 3",

"Yeah but - its still a support innit" etc
eric6 13 21 Greece
9 Mar 2010 6:24PM
I am so glad that people are seeing the not so "Great Britian" in it's true colours. This country no matter who rules is now a "Democratic Dictatorship". We "elect" the people to rule us and are put down all the way, plus the fact we pay them well ( + expenses) for the privilage of letting them do it

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.