Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

New Monitor

rikewoo 18 347 1 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2008 3:45PM
Hi all, Am going to have to replace my 17" TFT 4:3 monitor.

Question I have is: What advantage if any is there in going to a widescreen 16:2 aspect. My computer is mainly used for photography. Most of the monitors on sale are the widescreen ones, I know I can get the standard 4:3 aspect from Ebuyer, whom I have dealt with in the past.

They seem to be pushing the widescreen as being better for games or watching TV on the PC, but I play very few games and the ones I do play don't really need a widescreen.

Hope someone can help.
Many thanks in advance
Ken
vetcameraman 17 147 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2008 6:57PM
Presume you mean 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. 16:2 would be extrememly long!
I've just got a Samsung 2232BW (22" widescreen)(just as it was replaced by the newer model with higher contrast ratio!) which is so much better than the laptop 15" 4:3 I've been working with. Gives so much more working area.
Here's a link to someone else's suggestion for a new monitor.
Everyone else on another thread seemed to think it was pointless spending less than 10,000 for a new monitor (or was it 1,000 ?)
My problem - still need to learn how to take decent photo's!
guidoa 19 1.4k United Kingdom
29 Nov 2008 8:31PM
My problem with the wide screen monitors is that I connect it to a laptop which I do when I want to print, and each time I have to re-set the seting to 1440x900 as otherwise the picture looks stretched. Is there a way of saving the setting so that when I c onnect up to the monitor I dont have to start from scratch each time.
29 Nov 2008 8:48PM
You are quite correct I did have the wrong ratio. Not sure where I got it from didn't check before putting foot in mouth. Smile

Ebuyer have got plenty in stock of all sizes and good contrast ratios.

Many thanks will have a closer look in local stores.

Ken
29 Nov 2008 8:50PM
Guidoa,
think it would depend up on the setting for the laptop screen that the processor would look to on start up.
Ken
guidoa 19 1.4k United Kingdom
29 Nov 2008 9:07PM
Thanks Ken, thats what I feared.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.