New Monitor for MacBook Pro- advice please

bazhutton 12 25 England
15 Oct 2009 4:01PM
A man at Apple told me there were no plans to introduce a matte screen for their displays, but then also said that if there were, he wouldn't tell me!

Having gone to the trouble to option a matte screen for my MacBook, it does seem daft to go glossy on the monitor. I still like the price & features of the Eizo CG222W & I don't suppose the slightly lower native resolution is as important as the Adobe RGB range & the uniformity of screen illumination. Is it??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH 14 1.9k 1 France
15 Oct 2009 6:08PM
Glossy screens ironically are usually indicative of an anti-reflective chemical coating, whereas matte screens disperse light by dint of having an uneven surface. The former are reckoned to display better contrast, and possibly give a sharper appearance (a little like print paper).

I don't believe Full HD is particularly important in photo editing, and to the best of my knowledge an Adobe RGB gamut is only good if you regularly shoot wide-gamut pictures. So a wedding or portrait photographer might benefit from a near sRGB monitor. It's a similar principal to using the smallest colour space which encompasses the picture (i.e. not stretching the bit-data unnecessarily).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.