Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

New nikon d80

DannoM 12 58 England
14 Oct 2009 9:04PM
i have got a 2nd hand d80, anyway there are numerous black spots in the view finder. They dont seem to show up on photos though im no expert. Could this be dust on the sensor?
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
14 Oct 2009 9:06PM
If they're not on the photos then they're on your focussing screen, embrace them Grin
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 Oct 2009 9:20PM

Quote:embrace them

LOL.....Nice one KT.....Wink

KT is quite right there is a screen between your prism and the mirror box, aka the foccusing screen.

All sorts of dust, bugs and other things can accumulate on it, Its nothing new or related to DSLRs in particular, Had the same problems with film cameras.

Basically its nothing to worry about, If its not appearing on your images, Try and forget about it....Sad

You could try a blower, Something like a " Rocket Air " blow that onto the screen, It may shift some dust, Or it might just move it around........Sumfin you gotta try though.....Smile

Do not under any circumstances " Rub " Wipe " or " Touch " the focus screen, They mark very easily, And are a pain in the butt to change.....On some cameras.

If at all in doubt get the camera serviced by Nikon.....Wink
Slippery_Jim 13 597 England
14 Oct 2009 9:20PM
Ah! I remember someone asking something similar about this a while back, If I remember correctly the answer was that they could be mites in your pentaprism and the way to get rid of them was to wrap up your camera and stick it in the freezer overnight.

Edit
Here's the post I was referring to
phillips 15 69 2 Scotland
14 Oct 2009 9:22PM
Get hold of a Rocket Blower.
Hold the camera above your head, switced off with the lens off and give a few good puffs towards the focusing screen. Any loose crud should hopefully fall out.

Guy
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2009 6:57PM

Quote:Ah! I remember someone asking something similar about this a while back, If I remember correctly the answer was that they could be mites in your pentaprism and the way to get rid of them was to wrap up your camera and stick it in the freezer overnight.

Edit
Here's the post I was referring to

If they don't crawl across your viewfinder, they're not mites Smile Don't go rushing to your freezer just yet.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.