Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

New Optimum point pixel technology

Andysnapper 12 109 25 England
7 Jul 2008 12:01PM
Has anyone else heard of this?
I was on an evening photography course and talking to another guy who works at Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU). He said that he'd been told that they were in the process of developing Optimum Point Pixel technology, mainly for medical cameras, but that it could be used in all cameras. Basically he was told that they would be able to get 8 billion (yes billion) pixels in an area the size of a thumbnail which would allow , for example, photographs of individual human cells. This meant that cancer treatments could be targeted to these cells so lower doses would be needed. The name may be wrong as it was a couple of weeks ago now and I cant remember exactly what was said.

Andy
7 Jul 2008 1:08PM
Hi Chris,

According to my 'informant' there would be a complete sea change in camera and lens technology, but not for a minimum of 3-4 years, similar to when digital first came out.
I don't know if its true but he seemed to be convinced.

Andy
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2008 1:12PM
If you work on the principal of micro lenses only for close up photography, you can have each pixel with its own lens, then use software processing to generate the rest of the info. i.e for macro do you need more than the micro lenses.

I also know of a company working on a lens that can change shape, so alter focusing and focal length.
7 Jul 2008 1:24PM
Bloody hell thats way too much technology. I've only just worked out how to use the video.

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.