Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 6 months at 50%

New starter looking for some advice on lenses.

rios_uk 16 35 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 5:09PM
Hi all,

I've been a member here for some time now as i've always had a real interest in photography, however until now real life commitments held me back somewhat.

However with a new year just started i've set myself up for a new direction aswell and fully plan on following my keen interest in photography.

Just recently got back from purchasing a Canon 450D, had been down my local shop and out of all the cameras i fiddled with the minute i picked the 450D up i knew it was the one for me.

Anyhow heres my plan, later this year i'll be doing a couple of local college courses in photography and with that in mind need to look at picking up a couple more lenses. Im not totally sure what direction i will end up following whilst pursuing my interest but heres what interests me the most:

: Landscapes
: Portraits
: Still Life/Macro

Now i've got a couple of lenses in mind but i'll be completely honest, im new and still learning so if my choices are off or theres better alternatives i would love to hear about them. My budget isn't great, around 300 ish.

For landscapes i have been looking at the Canon EF 28mm f2.8 and for Portraits/Still Life/Macro i have been looking at the Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro.

Anyways as i said above im open to any better choices you think there might be, or if im completely of base with my choices for what i want to do let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
xanda 16 244 2 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 5:22PM
Whatever else you go for I'd recommend a 50mm prime to anyone shooting portraits. They're cheap too Smile
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 6:07PM
Given your interests, I would take a look at the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG macro.
Although for landscapes, it doesn't go that wide, I have been using mine quite a bit recently for all the interests you mention, with excellent results.
clicknimagine Plus
10 723 101 India
10 Jan 2010 6:10PM
the budget is not high, but your demand is very highSmile just joking!
the best option i think, 50mm prime f1.8, very cheap, but result is very high for portrait/street/low light, 70-300 is not a true macro lens, if you love macro works truly, i am afraid to say you can not adjust with this budget, but to me better option is to buy close up filters for the 50mm lens as said earlier for close up works, and if you are serious enough, you can buy 100mm macro in future, for landscape 10-20 sigma you can buy,

although it is your choice and best of luck for your decisions...
LensYews 11 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 6:15PM
Also worth speaking to you college first as well, as they may have their own recommendations, for many a 50mm will cover just about everything. For my City & Guilds course I used a 28-200mm Tamron (on a film body), I picked it up on ebay for 60 and that covered everything I needed at the time.
PP 19 222 England
10 Jan 2010 7:07PM
For landscapes, a zoom lens such as the 17-85 or 28-135 might be worth a look. The Canon models are slightly above your suggested budget, but both would also be good for portraits (eg, 50 to 80mm range), and still life.
10 Jan 2010 7:30PM
Brilliant, thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions i really appreciate it.

I've settled on picking up the Canon 50mm prime lense to start myself off with, then i'll go from there.

Just out of curiosity though this Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro lense that i've been looking at, what aspect of photgraphy would this type of lense by ideally suited for. Only asking as i can quite easily pick up the 50mm prime and the 70-300mm, just wondering if i would find much use for the later.

Thanks Again
Ryan
clicknimagine Plus
10 723 101 India
10 Jan 2010 7:38PM
it is an average zoom lens, good for nothing, not true macro(1:1) so not best macro work or quality, it is a kind of telephoto lens which can not produce best result, to me it is just a handy toy...
10 Jan 2010 7:40PM
So in hindsight i would be better of saving my money and stick with the lense supplied with the camera and the 50mm prime untill i can afford something of better quality ?
10 Jan 2010 8:19PM

Quote:Just out of curiosity though this Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro lense that i've been looking at, what aspect of photgraphy would this type of lense by ideally suited for.

My first lens purchase after the kit lens was a Sigma 70-300mm APO, because I needed the zoom range for a safari, which I've used to take wildlife images, birds in flight, sporting images, head & shoulder portraits, and its macro feature (1:2) is useable rather than just a marketing feature - I've used for Butterflies etc. It's a handy and usable zoom range for a beginner.

The Tamron version is similar, but slightly lower rated in terms of quality.
mcgannc 11 389 3 England
10 Jan 2010 8:29PM
By the sounds of it, for what you need, the 50mm (which is a great little lens) and a 10-20mm (think the sigma is just over 300 but you could probably pick up a 2nd hand a bit cheaper) are the best options - for your interests I'm not sure you'll get any immediate real value out of the 70-300mm.

Have fun,
Chris
10 Jan 2010 8:33PM

Quote:and a 10-20mm

Isn't the 10-20 too wide, too early? The kit lens after all will offer 18mm at the wide end, which should be sufficient for starter landscapes. The 10-20 will then start demanding a tripod, cable release, graduated filters, etc, before you know it.
mcgannc 11 389 3 England
10 Jan 2010 8:37PM

Quote:Quote:and a 10-20mm Isn't the 10-20 too wide, too early? The kit lens after all will offer 18mm at the wide end, which should be sufficient for starter landscapes. The 10-20 will then start demanding a tripod, cable release, graduated filters, etc, before you know it.

Fair point, didn't see any mention of a kit lens though so wasn't sure if Ryan had just bought the body only. One of the first things I went out and invested in was a tripod - if you're interested in landscape then it's a pretty essential bit of kit.

Chris
10 Jan 2010 8:38PM
Nice stuff, once again thanks for the advice everyone, i'll definatley get the 50mm then save for a 10-20mm. If i decide to take an interest in wildlife shots i'll look at the bigger zoom lense but for the time being i'll leave it alone.

Thanks
Ryan
10 Jan 2010 8:41PM
Fair enough, remember you can you a long lens to pick out details in a landscape as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.