Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

New Tripod for Canon 600d+400mm lens

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I am currently looking for a tripod for around 100-150 for my Canon 600d+400mm f5.6 lens as the one I had before is very shaky when I put my camera on it. Not sure if I need a carbon fibre tripod as I don't really want one that is too heavy.

Thanks,
Mya

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 582 England
27 Apr 2016 8:05PM
Hi Mya,

You'll probably get lots of different recommendations of people's personal favourite tripods, which may or may not be helpful if you end up with lots to consider!

Personally I use a Manfrotto, but Gitzo is a good make too though they tend to be more pricey. Certainly for your budget you should have a good choice of makes. Vanguard and Benro are a couple of other makes that spring to mind and are decent supports.

You don't need a carbon fibre tripod. It's a nice to have. I have to admit mine is a carbon fibre and it is lighter, so if that is very important to you then consider those models although with your stated budget you'll struggle to find one.

Three leg sections will be sturdier than four, but not as compact.

Your camera and lens aren't overly heavy so most if not all tripods should be able to take the weight ok, but do check the specs.

Talking of which, check out the height without the centre column. Using the centre column will make the whole setup less stable. i removed mine and have never used it.

Does your budget include a head? Some tripods you have to pay extra to get a head, though you can get exactly what you want. A ball head allows quicker freedom of movement but unlock the ball or leave it not fully tightened and you risk camera and lens taking a nosedive. Pan and tilt heads are slower to use but more positive though if you do more hide or static work it'll be fine. Again that't a personal choice. What type do you have at the moment and are you happy with it? You need to ask yourself that.

Sorry for no specific recommendations but hopefully some helpful pointers. In the end it does become personal choice.

Keith
Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for the advice. My budget was hopefully going to include a head so I would increase it a bit if I needed to get a certain one. My previous tripod was a manfrotto and I was quite happy with that.

Mya

Quote:Hi Mya,

You'll probably get lots of different recommendations of people's personal favourite tripods, which may or may not be helpful if you end up with lots to consider!

Personally I use a Manfrotto, but Gitzo is a good make too though they tend to be more pricey. Certainly for your budget you should have a good choice of makes. Vanguard and Benro are a couple of other makes that spring to mind and are decent supports.

You don't need a carbon fibre tripod. It's a nice to have. I have to admit mine is a carbon fibre and it is lighter, so if that is very important to you then consider those models although with your stated budget you'll struggle to find one.

Three leg sections will be sturdier than four, but not as compact.

Your camera and lens aren't overly heavy so most if not all tripods should be able to take the weight ok, but do check the specs.

Talking of which, check out the height without the centre column. Using the centre column will make the whole setup less stable. i removed mine and have never used it.

Does your budget include a head? Some tripods you have to pay extra to get a head, though you can get exactly what you want. A ball head allows quicker freedom of movement but unlock the ball or leave it not fully tightened and you risk camera and lens taking a nosedive. Pan and tilt heads are slower to use but more positive though if you do more hide or static work it'll be fine. Again that't a personal choice. What type do you have at the moment and are you happy with it? You need to ask yourself that.

Sorry for no specific recommendations but hopefully some helpful pointers. In the end it does become personal choice.

Keith

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Apr 2016 10:23AM
Some good advice from Keith, so I won't elaborate, avoid budget brands, I once had a 300mm f2.8 plus camera descend rapidly onto tarmac when a leg lock failed, learned my lesson...

These seem to get good reviews and complete with head is just inside your max budget... most ball heads have a tension adjustment which can save that nosedive...

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-vanguard-alta-pro-263at-aluminium-tripod-and-sbh-100-ball-head/p1521408

Good luck with your search

Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.