New V4 ePhotozine views

KatieR 17 6.2k 6
16 May 2007 4:24PM
Except it's in IE 5.5 and 6.0

Smile
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 May 2007 4:27PM
IE5.5!!! Behave - you'll be saying it don't work in Netscape4 next!
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
16 May 2007 4:34PM
I know, I know. Not my fault.
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
16 May 2007 5:03PM
I had not noticed a problem with them, but then I am using firefox.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
16 May 2007 5:12PM
It seems to only be an Internet Explorer issue (which is quite alot of you people). I believe it has something to do with the loading order the IE decides to load content on the page. Because the dropdown requires a tiny slice of javascript to work in IE, it tends to wait till the entire page is nearly done.

We are looking into this because it is a bit of a usability issue, however, if you wish to use a browser that interprets HTML,CSS,Javascript and all the other web standards better, try Firefox.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
16 May 2007 5:24PM
Not all of us have the option of choosing what browser to use on the machines. If you used frames (I know its old fashioned) you could reduce the amount that is loaded each time a page loads. and this is the only site I go to that has this sort of problem.
17 May 2007 8:33AM
There are many good reasons for not using frames and being old fashioned is one of the minor ones.

Any web bod worth his salt will shudder at just the thought.
lobsterboy Plus
17 May 2007 8:47AM
Basically Frames are evil also they don't improve performance as much as you would think. Performance is improved much more by moving javascript & css out to external files
17 May 2007 9:31AM
Yes I was aware of the issues but as the linked web site points out a bit of JS (loaded only once) overcomes it. and as EPZ has so much content that has to be loaded every time it pushes web developer convenience onto problems for the user.

The amount of no added value content being loaded (animated adverts) every time is slowing the page load down a lot. and the navigation is too slow to load.

so I suggest start a serious diet for the pages and start slashing the amount of junk being loaded or look at ways of decimating how much needs to be loaded.

how about E2 members get to see pages with far fewer adverts. Even just slicing off the EPZ book and FPME adverts would help, I mean the adverts make the page longer than the content!!!
lobsterboy Plus
17 May 2007 9:59AM
The javascript solves some problems but won't solve the problem if you have a browser that dosn't support frames.

Quote:
so I suggest start a serious diet for the pages and start slashing the amount of junk being loaded or look at ways of decimating how much needs to be loaded.

There does seem to be a hell of a lot of inline styles used - I wonder if replacing them with classes on an external style sheet would reduce the amount that has to be downloaded each time.
In addition there are some lumps of js that might possibly be moved out to external files.

As for the ads - I think it is the larger animated/flash ones that are causing a problem for some people. Ones like FPME should be coming out of your local cache.
17 May 2007 10:02AM
Could be, my views are just based on watching the page load, Top banner 1st, actual content next, then delay, right hand adverts start to pop in one at a time, and navigation last.
17 May 2007 11:23AM
The ads do seem to be a sticking point as more often than not when the page loading slows down it is when it is trying to fetch content from pan.ephotozine.com which is the ad server.

I see the large ad that runs across the screen above the logo strip has now gone, but was there this morning. If we are lucky it will not be back. I accept that the site needs to have adverts, but that one was a big chunk of screen.
17 May 2007 11:26AM

Quote:

Not sure how killing one feature in ten is going to help, I would have thought it needs to be little bit more organised than the barbaric practice of decimation. :-p
mdpontin 17 6.0k Scotland
17 May 2007 11:34AM
Decimalisation? That was back in 1971, wasn't it? Way before the world wide web became a vital part of our existence! Oh...you said decimation. Sorry. Wink

I'm with Chris on the practice of moving inline styles and javascript out into style sheets, etc. I do that myself mainly for the sake of organisation and avoiding having to maintain multiple copies of the same style (per page). Not sure what the impact would be on page load times though.

Doug
lobsterboy Plus
17 May 2007 11:42AM
In theory its faster because the stylesheets are cached locally...tha's the theory anyway Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.