New Website...if you're bored!

andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 7:59AM
Toby..

LOL,just looked at the date Smile its an old thread
Marlin_owner 16 658 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 8:00AM
The menu is nearly impossible to see.

At first view it looks like you have one picture.

Once you suss out how to use it, it is fine.

Greying the menu names might help people find their way round.
mshepherd 17 667 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 8:02AM
In the sales section it states "Please include the code of the image(s)" The only way of selling this is in the URL at the top of the page (It took me a couple of mins to work this out) - this might not be obvious to customers on your site. (I dont think you need a shopping cart system - just make it clear on the gallery pages what all the codes are

I also agree that the navigation needs a bit of work
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 8:03AM
Toby last visited this site in May 2004 LOL.
chrisfroud 16 521
5 Sep 2005 8:10AM
LOL! Smile
stuleech 16 210
5 Sep 2005 8:12AM
That looks as though I've brought this thread back but it was definitly in the most recent activity page!
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
5 Sep 2005 8:12AM
LOL - sucked in rightly!
tobydeveson 19 13 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 12:59AM
hi everyone, no i am here, saw this come up in my stats page and been keeping a general eye open on various forums etc, as you do....

glad it is back in conversation though!

ummm, yes my dad is david...

no comments i didnt expect about the rollovers and navigations. It is a new site - since the original posting - and to be honest i designed it entirely for the images. i knew a few people would be pissed off with the navigation not being there full time. I just thought once someone found it it didnt take much intelligence to use it! all comments have been " I found it fine but others may not". Well I find that insulting to others! The internet has been around a while now, im sure most people have figured buttons and rollovers out. You need to press a button and to do that all the navigation appears. The captions are a bit harder to find but it is explained in the welcome page and again, once done its easy. Of course i designed a layout with the navigation there all the time. I just found it distracting to the image, which is after all what the site is about!

Yes I do camera work too, but the site is about my images. Unfortunately the camera work is what pays the bills and so is what is mostly on my cv!

Again thanks stu for bouncing the thread up Wink

Toby
ejtumman 16 2.8k England
7 Sep 2005 1:08AM

Quote:" I found it fine but others may not". Well I find that insulting to others! The internet has been around a while now, im sure most people have figured buttons and rollovers out. You need to press a button and to do that all the navigation appears. The captions are a bit harder to find but it is explained in the welcome page and again, once done its easy.

NEVER, EVER, Assume that the general public have an ounce of intelligence!!!!

Sorry if this offends a few, but if you want a total stranger to stay interested in your site, it needs to be so basic a 4 year-old can figure it out.

When browsing, people don't have time for mind puzzles...... can't find it instantly, they're onto the next site.

Good Luck with it though.......

Emma ;o)
Westers 16 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
7 Sep 2005 1:43AM
Yep, make the basics as simple as can be - took me a while to work out where the buttons were and then found it annoying that I had to roll over them all to find what the sections were about. After I'd got to the last one I forgot where everything else was which switched me off a lot.

You can make it so that the images stand on their own without any text, etc - just link a thumbnail shot to a larger image on a seperate page.

You've got to treat the internet the same as any other form of informative media - easy, intuitive and simple.
macroman 18 15.3k England
7 Sep 2005 2:23AM
Major annoyance: the need to use horizontal scroll to find/use the butttons on the RHS of the pic.
tobydeveson 19 13 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 3:40AM
Sorry but to me it doesnt take much effort or annoyance or intelligence to hold the mouse over a button to see where they go. All the text on the buttons comes up when you hover over any one of them.

As for the scrolling horizontally you must have your resolution at 800x600 or not have the page enlarged. the page fits on the screen otherwise.

As for the general public...you are the general public. Am i to assume you have no intelligence? You've worked it out I think, and I'm sure 99% of others have done too. And if we are all being brutally honest, well I'm not that bothered what the general public thinks about my site or work. The opinions that count are mine, other photographers (at least those whose work i respect - and thats very few), and potential buyers. All of whom I know can work out a simple website and appreciate a layout that shows off images in the best possible way.

Apart from all that, all interest is good interest and its nice to talk to anyone about it and get some feed back! Hope that you all enjoy the images too...

Toby
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
7 Sep 2005 3:43AM

Quote:Sorry but to me it doesnt take much effort or annoyance or intelligence to hold the mouse over a button to see where they go...

I think the real problem is, Toby, that they look like decoration when you first go to your site - not buttons. They are not distinct enough and look as though they are creating a (admittedly wide) frame round the photo that's on the screen when you visit.

Okay, I knew what to expect because I went to your site after seeing Westers's email, but if I had have found your site by myself I would have assumed this was just the home page and the rest of the site was under construction as there were no links.

But, at the end of the day, it is YOUR site and if you are happy with that then it's up to you.

Ashley
mpower 15 186 England
7 Sep 2005 3:45AM
Toby

erm...you did ask for feedback didn't you?

I just find it a little surprising that you seem to be getting defensive over the criticism of the navigation. If you're not interested in what people think of the site/your work why did you ask for feedback? Smile
macroman 18 15.3k England
7 Sep 2005 3:47AM
Mmmm!
It may not take much intelligence to work out, but it's still annoying and a turn off.

Why deliberately make things awkward?

Can't see the point.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.