Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

New website - review please

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
9 Nov 2005 3:54AM
A woman could conceive and give birth in less time than it has taken to develop my website but, at long last, it is delivered !

I would be grateful if you would have a look at it and let me have any feedback. I've tested it in Internet Explorer and Firefox on Windows, but don't have access to other browsers or platforms, so if there are any funnies please let me know.

It's not just technical feedback that I'm looking for - if you spot any typos or have any other observations then I would be keen to know.

[adult warning]
Some of the images on my site appear in my ePZ portfolio with the adult flag ticked. If you prefer not see figure studies then don't select any of the menu options under "Upstairs". All other pages are adult-free.
[/adult warning]

The website is at www.tastefulimages.co.uk.

Many thanks
John
kevan 19 447
9 Nov 2005 4:17AM
Hello John,

Just had a quick look. First impressions are a nice clean site. The simple layout works well and suits the images.

The main problem is clicking on 'Add To Basket' or 'View Basket' generates the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range

/ViewBasket.asp, line 64

Apart from that a couple of titles are misspelled: 'Clemantines' should be 'Clementines' and 'Amarylis' should be 'Amaryllis' (sorry for being pedantic!)

Kevan
Se7enUK 15 114 England
9 Nov 2005 4:38AM
Yes I get the same error.
Nicely laid out though.

Paul
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
9 Nov 2005 4:52AM
Kevan, Paul - Yes, I got that error too - though it has been fine up until today ! I've put in place a fix, so you should be able to Add to Basket or View Basket now.

Kevan - I appreciate your pedantry. Spelling mistakes irritate me when I see them on other sites, so I am keen to avoid them on my own. Thanks for pointing them out - I've corrected them both now.

Thanks
John
nickp 16 491 Scotland
9 Nov 2005 5:10AM
I like your style! Click on one picture to buy, and the cart gets filled with one each from the rest of the gallery .... I suspect you didn't mean that!

I keep looking at the front page - the grey's a bit overwhelming to my eyes. Any mileage in considering another image in the main section of the screen? Since you're selling pictures, it might encourage a few more to explore further?

Otherwise its looking good.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Nov 2005 5:11AM
Site works just fine....but I find the idea of Upstairs/Downstairs weird. I showed my wife the site, who is a pretty succesful interior designer...and funnily enough her words were...'Yuk'
mellyleth 17 212 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2005 5:15AM
I like the layout and your images look fab. I noticed a spelling mistake on the orders and payments section under 2) by email: the word credit..
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
9 Nov 2005 5:33AM
Nick - That certainly isn't supposed to happen, but it isn't something I have seen. I will investigate. Regarding the use of space ... on an 800 x 600 screen there isn't a huge amount of the page unfilled; I do concede that at 1280 x 1024 or larger there is a lot of grey. Hmmm - it's difficult to satisfy both sets of users, but perhaps I need to give that some thought too.

Keith - What particular aspect of the site made your wife say "Yuk" - the colours ? the layout ? the idea of the galleries being "rooms" in a house ? Unfortunately that one word doesn't give me a lot to go on.

Mel - Thanks for pointing out the typo - I've corrected it now.

Thanks, all, for your comments.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Nov 2005 5:57AM
It was the idea of rooms and the upstairs/downstairs. She didnt comment on the images but then she deals in a lot of that type of thing so they wouldn't really register with her.
nickp 16 491 Scotland
9 Nov 2005 6:01AM
I think the problem with the quantities coming in unasked for maybe originated from the previous problem that Kevan reported - the cart got filled but no feedback on screen. It looks ok now.

Ah, fluid layouts with fixed size images - always a challenge. A common approach seems to be to fix the width of the site to regain control of the background images. You wouldn't lose much by thinking about that - you're using tables to lay out the images in the galleries anyway, and at 1280 there's a lot of space there as well.
timiano 16 894 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2005 9:55AM
Seconded. Fix the widths of your layout tables.

Layout is not bad, but its not great either, could be much better. It does the job though, and its certainly not offensive.

After a quick scan, I could only find one page where there was a contact to the photographer, buried in the mailing list page and it was a damned mailto:....and don't get me started on what I think about mailto's!!!!

Tim
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
9 Nov 2005 11:32AM
Keith - Thanks for the clarification.

I know one can't please everyone, but it would be useful to know what others think about this. Is there a concensus against the galleries being rooms ? I'm not going to attempt to justify the choice, since visitors to the site won't be given a justification: as an idea it has to stand or fall on its own merits.

Nick - Glad the fix cured the problem you observed as well.

Nick and Tim - I'm not keen on permanently limiting the pages to 800px wide. I think I'll modify it so that it can float between 800 and 1024px wide.

Tim - Contact details are available on two pages, but is your point that you would like to see contact details on the Photographer page ? And I think I'm going to have to take the risk of getting you started: what's wrong with mailto ? It offers convenience for visitors who use an email client, while visitors who use web-based email can copy the text and paste it into their browser.

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment.

John
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2005 11:55AM
Yup the rooms idea left me a bit confused as the pictures had nothing to do with the menu options. If they were under the "Home" tag they might make a bit more sense but really I think its a metaphor too far.

Chris
nickp 16 491 Scotland
9 Nov 2005 1:37PM
Yeah, the rooms. I was ok with the idea until I got to the bedrooms! Is the idea that you buy the pictures to put in the nominated room, or the picture depicts what going on in the room, or what, or none of these? I think you have some mixed messages going on here which may not actually encourage people to part with their hard earned. I guess it depends who you reckon your target market is, and what they're going to respond to.

You may have noticed I haven't come up with any other suggestions .....
patters 16 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2005 1:54PM
Waiting for completion. Cant wait to see reactions to the 'Toilet' room pics Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.