Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

New Website

mcgovernjon 11 138 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 8:52PM
I'll welcome any thoughts on this Grin

www.jonmcgovern.co.uk

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesGarfield 11 915 4 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 9:55PM
Umm can I be honest and say i don't really like it. It's very busy and it took me a while to notice the "scroll right" sign. I do like your work although one of the pics doesn't load and overall the concept left me cold. Sorry!
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
21 Nov 2010 10:00PM
there's another photographer who uses this scroll right technique

may have heard of him

Rankin

It's fun, though the text is not very readable so I didn't read any of it and I@m sure that'll be the case with many visitors

nice shots

what's the purpose/target market of the site?
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 10:02PM
I like it, and the scroll right thing was one of the first things on the page, and the bar at the bottom having the option to scroll right gave it away too Wink

I think it is a different idea, but as above, one of the pictures wont load, (unless you meant it to be a blank white square?) I quite like not having pages to go to, although, sometimes it is nice to have them just to break up the sections.

Smile
21 Nov 2010 10:02PM
not sure about the scroll right ting, took me a while as well, i started by running the mouse around trying to find something to click on. Probably doesn't really work for a web site.
davidburleson 13 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 11:40AM
It's a really interesting idea, I think it just needs a bit more done to it to work well. It could do with some arrow links instead of the scroll bar. So, click a right arrow button and it scrolls it over to the next slide. This sort of gives the idea of what is possible:

http://www.charliegentle.co.uk/

Overall, like to originality.
John_Frid 14 514 57 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 12:24PM
Not particularly keen on the horizontal scroll design, but that isn't a major gripe. Liked the images, but was scratching my head trying to work out what the site was trying to achieve. It seemed to have no real purpose.
Paul1972 12 53
26 Nov 2010 12:17AM
Just tried to look at your website but the links not working,
bootlaces 10 6 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2010 9:54PM
The first two squares containing text need something to separate them like a vertical lighter coloured line, or your second square containing drawn text should have the same colour background as the first box with the person and perhaps a small shadow behind the text in second box. Also, if the text in the first box is the title or heading, the text in the next box (sort of handwritten), should not be as strong. Both first and second box text are fighting for attention and throws confusion when opening the page as text in both boxes is white on black. Regarding scrolling right. Nice idea but I think you should portray the instruction to 'scroll right' as something that stands out differently so viewers see it at the bottom of the page as most people read top to bottom first, and change the text, either placing it on some sort of icon eg a silver strip like a button or animate the text. Finally, as a snapshot of a website, I thought it was a good attempt.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
26 Nov 2010 10:18PM
First off, the 'scroll right' thing. If it hasn't got a link, I'm not going to go to the effort of mousing down to the scroll bar. In any case, designing things this way just seems lazy. Why should I, as a viewer, have to do the work that other sites do for me?

If you want to show off your achievements, put it on a link. Personally, I don't give a toss about that stuff.

The photography is generally good but broken links look amateurish. Fix it!!

Sorry to seem harsh but there are millions of photographer's sites out there. If you don't make things easy for me, I'll go elsewhere.
CathyT 14 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2010 2:03PM
I actually like the idea of 'scroll to the right'.....see Rankin

Although I don't like the Font you have used and I think the photo's need to fill the frame....its almost there just needs a slicker more professional finish.

I like the 'achievement ' page ...perhaps they could be linked to more info??

Also, like Rankin's, I think the scroll should be included on the web page rather than the standard web page scroll bar if that makes sense....perhaps a background colour may tie it altogether too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.