Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

New Website

watsonle 13 9 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2011 12:25PM
I have just set up a website using clikpic (it's taken me ages as I'm not very good with computers!) and I'd really appreciate some constructive criticism: www.louisewatsonphotography.co.uk
I would eventually like to sell some pictures but am worried about putting a paypal link on my site as I haven't yet found a good printer / worked out how large I can realistically print photos from my Nikon D40.
I'd be particularly grateful for any comments on the layout of the site / ease of use / anything else I ought to add.
Many thanks
Louise
NickParry 15 1.0k 79 Wales
3 Feb 2011 12:29PM
It looks like a good start. Possibly make the text larger on the opening page; always at least 12 point size.

Nick Smile
bfgstew 14 668 105 England
3 Feb 2011 12:32PM
Had a look and all looks clean and simple, nothing really to distract visitors and easy to navigate. Maybe an idea to add a guestbook page so people can leave a passing message, gives others an idea how popular your site is.

I am in the same position as yourself but with Foliopic which has been a dream to set up (thanks Pete).

Stewart
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
3 Feb 2011 12:37PM
Looks nice - it's got that clikpik look about it

I'd be tempted to let the pictures do the talking though, I'd review text like this...

Here are a few of my best pictures taken in London

Do you need to say that in a gallery called "london" ?

I'd say not, and you'd only put your "best" shots on your site, so it's all implied.

same with

These are a selection of my photos all taken up in Norfolk.

other than that, looking good
meercat 12 278 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2011 1:22PM
Looks very sleek. My only advice would be to try to keep thumbnail images on the gallery pages uniform, either all landscape or all portrait per line. My eyes prefer running over orderly laid out thumbnail pages like that.

Personal opinion, I guess not everyone is like that.
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2011 2:25PM

Quote:Maybe an idea to add a guestbook page

No it isn't, not if you want it to look like a professional site not a hobbyist page. Your contact page is the correct way to do things.

Ian
watsonle 13 9 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2011 11:08PM
Thanks so much, that is all really helpful. I've made a few changes: made the text bigger, taken out irrelevant text etc. I found it rather difficult adding a forum page so have decided to leave it off (in part because it seems to be beyond my technical abilities, and in part because I agree with digicammad that the contact page is sufficient!). Meercat, I'm not sure how to keep the thumbnails all in a line (though I agree it looks a little messy as it is).

Thanks all for your comments!
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
24 Feb 2011 7:26AM
My only suggestion is to reduce the borders around your images to the bare minimum (or remove them altogether). With such large borders there are precious few pixels left over for the image. Otherwise it's shaping up nicely.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.