Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

New York Recommendations Please

tf 17 156
22 Sep 2005 8:50AM
Has anyone been to any good photo galleries/museums in New York, please?
tf 17 156
23 Sep 2005 12:05AM
So that'll be a "no" then?
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2005 12:22AM
Well the Musuem of Modern Art is of course amazing. However, if you are visiting New York can I suggest you contact

'Big Apple Greeters'

A not-for-profit organization whose mission is to enhance New York experience by connecting Business and leisure travelers with knowledgeable and enthusiastic Volunteers

Get in touch before you go and tell them your interests and they will match you up with a volunteer who will meet you and will show you the parts of New York you want to see (e.g your interests as opposed to the tourist haunts).

No doubt if you tell them your photographic interest they will probably try to match you up with a photographer.

Its all completely free; our guide wouldn't even accept a tip after spending a whole day with us showing us places a tourist wouldn't normally go. They even will take you on the subway show you how it works and give you free tickets (or they did for us). Can't praise them too highly.
nigelf22 16 583
23 Sep 2005 12:41AM
Although not a photo gallery if you are going anywhere near Manhattan and would like to be awed by the sheer size of a US aircraft carrier check out USS Intrepid air and space museum. They even have a Concorde (sob, sob) moored on a barge.

Although I am appalled with the location of the Concorde (on a BARGE for G*dsake!) but it's of historical interest.

They also have a Lockeheed Blackbird (on a carrier?) and a Mig 21, which is just about justifiable as the F4 Phantom/Corsair on it's deck were adversaries.

I would like to meet the man behind their acquisition policy...

Have fun!
www.intrepidmuseum.org
tf 17 156
23 Sep 2005 3:44AM
Thanks for those two recommendations!
nigelf22 16 583
23 Sep 2005 4:28AM
Sorry about the lack of responses - I guess either the Epz'ers haven't discovered NY yet or they are all off excercising their democratic rights to express an opinion on a point in some other less worthy thread.

A quick "Google" has brought up this beauty....
www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html - it seems to list most of the worthwhile places. You could create a shortlist depending on where your hotel is located and then try the Big Apple Greeters.

You may be able to check the musuems policy toward photography from this website.

Sorry, but I have never been to NY - have flown over it at 10'000 ft at night and won't ever forget that!
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
23 Sep 2005 5:37AM
Sorry,

Only just seen this one...

I've been to NYC in February the past two years, and there's loads to see and do. In no particular order:

Museums: The Guggenheim and MoMo (Museum of Modern Art) are both well worth a visit. The New York Institute of Photography (NYIP) also has a gallery and features some excellent exhibitions. The Natural History Museum on the West side of central park is massive and also well worth a visit.

Other places of photographic interest: There are too many to list really. Obviously there's Grand Central Station (Take a wide angle), the Statue of Liberty (take a tripod) and the Empire State Building (no tripods allowed - take note!). There is no tourist season in NYC, so things get busier as the day goes on - bear it in mind. Most places are very security concious these days, so factor in the time for most places to queue and have your bag searched, etc... If you are going up the Empire State, the best time is sunset, so you see the sun go down and the bright lights come on...

The Brooklyn bridge is well worth a visit, again, sun up or sun down are the best times. (Another one here )

Central Park is also cool - check out the zoo if you have time. As Nigel's already mentioned, the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space museum is well worth a visit, though it was shut the last time I was there. Often overlooked, but also worth a visit is the United Nations - pay the money and take the tour, it's very interesting, and providing they aren't in session, you'll see around all of the famous council chambers.

Another couple of randoms - Times Square at night for the lights, Washington Square Park because it's pretty, and somewhere on the lower west side (round about 7th and 34th I think) is a basketball court where you can see some quality street games being played.

No photographer's visit to New York could be complete without a visit to B&H Photo - one, if not the, best photographic shop in the world! Don't forget the strength of the pound against the dollar, and things work out much cheaper over there ;o)

Non-Photographic - A place well worth eating - Duvet restaurant. They don't have tables - you eat in bed! Sheer class. If the season is still on, go and watch a basketball match too - get your seats from one of the touts outside Maddison Square Gardens and you'll save a mint too.

Unless you're going for a month, you're not gonna have enough time - just remember to have fun. I can heartily recommend the Lonely Planet guide as accurate and comprehensive for anything I've missed!

Hope this helps some,
James ;o)
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
23 Sep 2005 5:41AM
Cheers everyone!

I'm off to New York in January - partial work I'm afraid.

I didnt want any advice - just wanted to tell everyone Wink
23 Sep 2005 5:43AM
Bring me something nice back...
;o)
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
23 Sep 2005 5:47AM
Joe went to NY and all I got was this f**king t-shirt

That sort of thing?
23 Sep 2005 5:49AM
Nah, something more along the lines of:

"Joe went to New York and all I got was this quite fabbo 1DMkII, along with 17-35, 28-70 and 70-200IS L lenses"

Or that sort of thing...
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
23 Sep 2005 5:52AM
Why are you going to mug me on the way home?
23 Sep 2005 5:53AM
If necessary...
;o)
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
23 Sep 2005 5:53AM
Jamie thinks the kit is left to him in my will....
conrad 16 10.9k 116
23 Sep 2005 5:54AM

Quote:Joe went to NY and all I got was this f**king t-shirt

50 quid, Joe, right? Wink

Conrad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.