News sites asking for photo use, what would you ask for? - Toddbrook Reservoir

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2019 3:42PM
I saw this link from a BBC website as a UK town of over 6000 people prepare for evacuation today from a damaged dam.

In it news agencies ask for use of the pics, which is freely given by what i assumed is a concerned member of the public.
https://twitter.com/fraglast/status/1156887933665927168

Such damage revealing pictures must be hard to come by in a timely manor, and others in the twitter thread suggest figure from 50 to 500. Is this the public starting to understand that their photos have real economic value?

What would you think is a realistic figure for time sensitive and access limited images, what would you ask for?
e.g. 100 for national news site and 50 for regionals?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveRyder Plus
5 3.5k 1 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2019 6:46AM
I've given a few shots to our local paper.
A couple have been used but never considered asking for anything.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
2 Aug 2019 9:01AM

Quote:I saw this link from a BBC website as a UK town of over 6000 people prepare for evacuation today from a damaged dam.

In it news agencies ask for use of the pics, which is freely given by what i assumed is a concerned member of the public.
https://twitter.com/fraglast/status/1156887933665927168

Such damage revealing pictures must be hard to come by in a timely manor, and others in the twitter thread suggest figure from 50 to 500. Is this the public starting to understand that their photos have real economic value?

The photographer was IMO being conned by the Agency.

If a photographer is accepted as being a supplier of photographs they get a percentage (often low at 40%) of the Agency sales of their picture or pictures.

If the photographer accepts "a full credit" as in just quoting their name - the agency gets 100% of whatever they make in sales.

I stopped using the BBC when their standard terms became free usage and the photographer agreeing that the BBC could sell to whoever they liked with no share of the income.

My answer on the specific picture is that as it is a bit of a scoop a 50% share of their sales would be about right.
3 Aug 2019 11:46PM
News agencies who asked for permission to use the pictures.
BBC
CNN
SKY
Dail Mail
Sun
Mirror.

These news agencies individually are worth a fair amount of money and could afford to pay . Even 50 per agency.
300 for the photographer is still peanuts,

Had the BBC who were first to ask for permission ,were given the rights to sell , the images and did so to the agencies above? How much do poeple think the BBC would charge . More than free , I suspect.

Regards

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.